1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgent Help needed for sound on HP media computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by munchkin, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. munchkin

munchkin Thread Starter

My father just passed and we are putting together a slideshow for his service. Mom's computer is fairly new, but HP said this is a software issue and is not covered under warrenty. I have always had excellent results with TSG and am hoping that we can get this sound problem taken care of quickly. Any help is appreciated (greatly appreciated).

Here's the Computer:
    HP Media Center PCm7067c
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When troubleshooting, I followed the following procedures from HP's website:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 1: Checking volume and mute settings
    The volume setting for one or more sound devices might be disabled or set too low. Use the following steps to adjust volumes to their correct levels:
    In Windows XP, click Start, and then Control Panel.
    In Windows XP, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Sound and Audio Devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The information box comes up saying: No Audio Device
    and I cannot select anything from there because it appears to "not exist"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She has an HP vs19 flat screen monitor with speakers in that and the cables are plugged in correctly. There are no other speakers with the system.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Look in Device Manager to see if you have a ! or ? infront of any of the sound devices

Right click on My Computer . . select Manage . . Device Manager . . at the bottom, check the + next to Sound Devices to see what is installed

3. munchkin

munchkin Thread Starter

Yes, Under Monitors, there are 2 sub entries:
    - HP vs19 flat panel monitor
    - ! Unknown device

So, should I just disable the " !Unknown device"?

Also, under System Devices -
    there is an exlamation next to PCI Device
    Device status:
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

you should be able to go to the HP website and navigate to your pc's original configuration and find the right drivers for the sound card . . the PCI Device

No telling what the "! Unknown device" is under monitors . . try removing it, restart and see if it comes back to load the drivers

5. munchkin

munchkin Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I will work on that right now and get back with you with the results.

I really, really appreciate your help right now.

6. munchkin

munchkin Thread Starter

Well, I am having trouble. I reloaded the sound driver from the HP website for this specific machine, but I cannot find a specific PCI driver....

any suggestions?

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

That is often a modem . . do you have a modem and does it show in Device Manager?

8. munchkin

munchkin Thread Starter

Yes, we have a modem, which is how I am connecting now and that seems fine. The modem shows fine in the device manager. Under system hardware, there is the exclamation next to pci device.

I downloaded the realtek audio driver (took 1.5 hours on the modem - urghhh) and then as it ran, it said realtek high def audio driver update - can't find match...for realtek hp audio... and it failed miserably. I am so frustrated and time is limited and I just don't know where else to go from here.

Any more suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks again...

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Can you open the case to see what is in the pci slots?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!