1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgent Help Needed. Now.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trebuchet, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Thread Starter

My computer refuses to start (it won't turn on), so I've transplanted the SATA hard drive to my brother's desktop. He has an IDE hard drive. All I get when I try to boot on his computer is a black screen....Help! I have to get files off of it for tomorrow, or I fail....

2. Rukee

Rukee Banned

your drive prolly won`t work on his machine unless the two are identical hardware wise, and if you try too many times it may farboo the OS install. You`ll want to get it to boot in your old system, if anything use your brothers rig for parts to get yours running.
    If you don`t get any action from anything when the power button is hit and the power supply rocker switch is on, it may be the power supply. If the drives and fans are running but it just doesn`t post, then it may be something else. Can you discribe better what it`s doing?

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Before you freak out. Do you know anyone that has a rig with SATA connections? You can stick your drive in a computer with SATA capability as a secondary drive to pull the files you need for school. Is it making any kind of noise at all? Does the power light come on? What kind of computer do you have? What kind is your brothers?

4. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

I see what you were trying. You can't boot your brothers machine from your drive. You can set it there as a secondary drive. If I understood you properly. Assuming you can select in the bios which drive will boot the machine of course. What kind of machine are they?

5. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Thread Starter

my brother's has SATA connections, but I have both the SATA drive and IDE drive in at the same time....

let's not get on the topic of my other desktop, for now all that matters are the files....

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Thread Starter

it isn't detected in BIOS though, but i just get a black screen. before that I get a thing with RAID software and settings, etc. but all it shows is the SATA HDD and not the IDE one, and when I go into the RAID setup program it doesn't let me do anything.

7. Rukee

Rukee Banned

then enter the BIOS, enable the SATA connecters, and then set the boot order to IDE HDD first.

8. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

What kind of Mobo does your brother have??

9. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Thread Starter

What do you mean, enable the SATA connectors?

It's an ABIT VT7.

10. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

as his computer starts up enter the BIOS, in the BIOS you can enable the SATA and change the order of the drives to boot the machine.

11. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Thread Starter

See, I did. But in BIOS, all it shows is "hard disk", "CD-ROM", etc. and the thing that auto-detects doesn't detect the SATA drive.

12. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

if that motherboard is SATA compatible its got to be there somewhere.

13. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Should be in the standard CMOS features maybe access mode

14. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Thread Starter

it's not. i looked everywhere.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP....

15. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Is the IDE set to cable select or a Slave Master setup?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/417726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice