1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

URGENT help needed please...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by donny898, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

My emachine540 PC just suddenly crashed, restarted and just says operating system not found, how can i resolve this issue? should i use the restore cd?

XP home installed.

Thanks

2. TRBMan

TRBMan

try using the restore CD and report back with some more information. And also post any ideas that could have caused the crash.

3. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

By using the restore cd would it delete the documents on the pc?
    Thanks

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I'm not familiar with the emachines restore disk but in most cases a restore will delete everything on the disk and return it to the same state as when it left the factory. The process should give you a couple of warnings that that is what will happen if you continue, allowing you to cancel.
    Your disk may have an option to do a Repair install, which won't delete any documents, but you will need to re-install any programs that did not come with the PC. It may also have diagnostic programs to test the hard drive.

Make sure you don't have a floppy or CD in the PC when you boot. I would expect different errors, but ya never know...

When the system is first turned on, do you see the hard drive and CD/DVD listed (usually right after the Memory Test)? If one or both are missing, open the case and check the cables to make sure something hasn't come loose. Unplug each connector and then reconnect it, one at a time.
    Boot into the BIOS (maybe called Setup). There should be a message when the PC boots like Press F2 for Setup or some other key.
    Check through the various screens and find boot order or boot sequence, and make sure the Hard Drive (usually C) is in the list. If it's not in the boot sequence, then something has corrupted the BIOS settings. Scroll through the settings and pick one that has the C drive 1st, or CDROM then C drive and try again. If that doesn't work you may need to reset the BIOS to defaults or to Factory Settings.

If everything in the BIOS looks good, then it's possible that the drive has just died:(
    You can download and run drive diagnostics to rule out drive failure:

Seagate/Maxtor http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools
    Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/
    IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
    fujitsu/Seimens http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/support/utilities.html

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

HTH

Jerry

5. Dr.Mario

Dr.Mario

Yeah the drive might have just died on you, Buy SEAGATE for your main drives it will last you a very long time in most every case, After Years of Hdds dieing or going crap on me, Ive ONLY used Seagate Hdds for my main drive NOW and i never had the Problem again. I would get an actual windows 2k cd and make a disk with drivers on it, just learn how to do it on your own, then Next time if you get a crash you can reinstall windows 2k on the same drive and same folder and you can at least get to your information to back it up, then you can do a good format install. I <3 Win 2k

6. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

Thanks, there was a screen with the F2 info etc and when pressed it goes to display OS not found.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/24/28122007423ni0.jpg

Please see the above image, can you tell be what i can do from there?

7. Dr.Mario

Dr.Mario

Hmm Os Not found Prob means the Drive is fine, Just reformat, or Repair the Install.

8. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

First i heard about harddrive dying...why is this?

9. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

Thanks, so boot the pc and then insert the restore cd and somehow find the option to repair it...hopefully all the files will still be there

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You need to press DEL to setup. The F2 key is to resume after the displayed error.
    If you'll note the message just above that it says
    Error
    0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0

So your Maxtor hard drive is probably toast. Download the seagate/maxtor tools from my link in post #4. If the disk fail message is due to bad sectors, the seatools might be able to repair it.
    Your recovery CD might let you get into the recovery console. It's slightly possible that a fixmbr could get the drive working, but this is more than just an OS not found issue.
    Go into the BIOS and make sure that the CD-ROM is listed first in Boot Order -- you'll have to look around to find where the setting is. Then boot with the recovery CD in the drive. You should see a prompt to press a key to boot from CD, press anything, then see what options you have. There may be hard disk diagnostics, or you may just have the option to wipe the drive and start over. With the BIOS reporting a failed drive that is not likely to work.
    You may have to put this drive into another PC (or use an external USB enclosure) and try running some recovery software to get your files off the drive, Or make an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and see if you can access the drive

Free recovery applications:

1 - Recover Files
    2 - Recuva
    3 - Restoration
    4 - Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    5 - Softperfect File Recovery
    6 - Undelete Plus
    7 - PCI File Recovery
    8 - DriveRescue (direct download link)
    9 - Ultimate Data Recovery
    10 - Disk Investigator

11. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

4 - Free Undelete (NTFS only), how would this work, when i cant install anything?

Inserted the restore cd and press option 2, now its saying system information is being verified...how long does this take?

Is there a website where i can download the latest version of restore software for an emachine 540?

Thanks

12. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

How can i sort this problem? i see only one soultion is to do a system restore but how can i first save everthing on my harddrive? PC doesn't go into safe mode, option 2 from the restore cd is useless.

Any help would be greatful

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

The only decent way to do that is remove the hard drive and add it to another system as a slave and then copy off what you need. Somehow you are posting here so you must have another system. If you had a real XP cd you could run checkdisk or even a repair but not with a restore disk and sorry that is part of the reason those eMachines are so cheap!

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

With a failed drive this could hang here indefinitely. What were the results from running Seatools? Seagate/Maxtor Seatools Be sure to click the Learn More link to view the guide which lists the error codes. If the disk problem is just bad sectors, and seatools can repair/recover them we might be able to get the drive bootable using the XP Recovery Console.

You would have to call eMachines and order the CD, but it's likely that it would be identical to the one you have, but you would have to ask them to be sure.

It would probably be easiest to put the drive into another PC to try recovering the files or repairing the disk. If the other PC is also running XP home AND has the i386 folder on it's hard drive, you can install the Recovery Console onto the hard drive of the 2nd PC and use it to attempt repairing the drive.
    I'm not sure if you can use the XP Pro Recovery Console to access an XP Home installation, but might be worth trying.

Get Data Back, while not free, does have a trial version that will show you what it can recover before you pay for it. I have used this to recover some data from a drive that could not boot, or be seen by windows when installed in another system.

15. donniep12

donniep12

One step I did when I had a similar problem was to open the case and check the connection to the hard drive. Lucky I did that. I found that I had an intermediate connection and was losing contact. I pulled the pins out of the drive and reinserted it. Problem solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!