Solved Urgent Help needed, with PSU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MrSonetti

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 6
RAM: 8189 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (273 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

i need an experts help regarding my pc and upgrading it, picking the right stuff.
i'm still a noob when it comes to the insides and parts of a pc, but im learning, ive just learnt to install and un-install my ram and gpu. and il hopefully teach myself to do my psu aswell, so please answer in a way a rookie would understand.

i currently have a gtx 1050 2gb
and 2 sticks of crucial ddr3 4gb ram
and my mother board is a, GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3

im looking into buying a gtx 1060 6gb next month. and at some point this year also upgrading from 8gb ddr3 ram to, 16gb ddr3 ram.

i have tried so much to research and still haven't had my questions answered.

im on a budget, but stretched for a better gpu for future purposes.

now ive been told i also need a power supply in order to make these all work better.

would you guys be able to tell me of a decent psu that will power my current pc (in the link), and my future upgrade of a gtx 1060 6gb, and 16gb of ddr3 ram. something not to expensive, but reliable, fits my case, and it compatible with my motherboard.

for a better in depth look at the stock pc ive bought, heres a link >. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CMQWJXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

simian

Account Closed
Hello there.

I always build machines for customers and recommend people buy a PSUs at least 100Watts above their needs, its a rule of thumb that leaves a small cushion for minor upgrades later on and deals with loss of output capacity over time.

That said, you can perfectly calculate what you need, no one needs to tell you anymore.

See https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

add your parts etc and it will tell you what final wattage you need for ANY configuration your hearts desire.

Hope this helps ;)

simian

Account Closed
I didnt use the list you provided to calculate using the link I gave you, so I cant really tell you if thats OK. But 100Watts more than what that website gives you is what I recommend.

That website also tells you what is compatible, so it doesn't let you add incompatible components, it tells you straight up.

You can use that website even if you dont buy the machine from there.

MrSonetti

ive done further research, and someone with an i7, 1060 6gb, can run on a 550w. so if thats the case, im only assuming my specs, being lower than theirs, id be able to handle it on a 600w

simian

Account Closed
Its a decent budget PSU. If that already accounts for the 100 watts extra.

Bare in mind you wont be able to do massive upgrades with 100 watts cushion, again use that site, Im not going to check it for you.

crjdriver

The pw supply you linked to is a basic unit; ok for general use however NOT up to gaming [if that is your intent]
EVGA does not mfg their own pw supplies. The low end ones [like what you linked to] are mfg by either CTW or FSP and are equivalent to a dell or hp pw supply. The high end EVGA units are mfg by seasonic; those are very high quality and up to gaming, overclocking or any other stressful endeavor.
Just checking the warranty alone should give you an idea of the quality. Your selection comes with a 3yr warranty. The supernova line comes with a 10yr warranty.....

Last edited:

MrSonetti

so i checked. and added some parts that were much better than some i have equipped and it came to a 368 wattage.

anyone have any amazon links (uk site) to a decent psu?

MrSonetti

The pw supply you linked to is a basic unit; ok for general use however NOT up to gaming [if that is your intent]
EVGA does not mfg their own pw supplies. The low end ones [like what you linked to] are mfg by either CTW or FSP and are equivalent to a dell or hp pw supply. The high end EVGA units are mfg by seasonic and those are very high quality and up to gaming, overclocking or any other stressful endeavor.
Just checking the warranty alone should give you an idea of the quality. Your selection comes with a 3yr warranty. The supernova line comes with a 10yr warranty.....
ok. im not all that knowledgable with spec, as im just learning the ropes. i used the pc part picking site, and i added parts much better than mine, and the total came to 368 wattage use. and thats with the added upgrades of a 1060 6gb gtx. and 16gb of ddr3 ram. have any links to the uk amazon site, to some good psu's ?

crjdriver

Good ie recommended brands of pw supplies; corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY] Seasonic, FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty] or Antec [high current gamer models ONLY]
You do not want to go cheap on the pw supply. Using the low end or basic units in a system used for gaming is just asking for a problem. If you came up with 368W, a quality 500~550 unit would be fine. Something like this seasonic;
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151136

MrSonetti

Good ie recommended brands of pw supplies; corsair [AX, HX, or RM models ONLY] Seasonic, FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty] or Antec [high current gamer models ONLY]
You do not want to go cheap on the pw supply. Using the low end or basic units in a system used for gaming is just asking for a problem. If you came up with 368W, a quality 500~550 unit would be fine. Something like this seasonic;
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151136
the seasonic 550 looks good! cheap aswell!
what should i go for? the evga supernova 650, or the 550 seasonic? big price difference.
which is better.

MrSonetti

simian

Account Closed
Platinum are the best, buts its hard to get platinum at lower wattage.

Whatever you do dont buy Corsair products I dont recommend them to anyone, because they have the worst customer support should anything go wrong and dont have UK based RMA depots which you will pay for postage in case.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online