1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgent Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MansNeeds, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MansNeeds

MansNeeds Thread Starter

Hi Guys, I hope to God that you's can help.

Heres the story, my computer out of the blue has just stopped loading. I will describe what is happening:

• I will turn on the computer and it will load normally past all the BIOS stuff - then it will begin a 'chkdsk c:' saying that it needs to check this 'NTFS' file for consistancy.
    • It is always succesful with this check and then moves onto the the classic windows xp loading screen. That works fine then, BANG, it stops loading.... I don't think it is freezing as I can still move the mouse.
    • If I leave it for long enough it will come up with a diologue box saying something along the lines of 'Windows needs to be activated'. And this does not allow me to get past this blue laoding screen.
    • I then restart the comp, and it just goes through the same process.
    Other info:

• I CANNOT access SAFE MODE! It takes me to a log in menu saying my name, Phil and Administrator and if I click any of them I encounter this message 'Windows needs to be activated'.
    • I checked my BIOS page and posted the info on another forum (which wasn't too helpful if I do say so myself) and they said nothing with out of the ordinary with temperature etc.
    • If this helps, I did the day before these problems started when I turned on my comp it said there was no keyboard plugged in, this was a USB keyboard so I just swapped it for a old keyboard which wored a treat.
    • Also I had some minor problems with my monitor randoly turning off, everything will still be running with no problems just seems to be switching off.
    Help will be so much appreciate. I desperatly need my cvomputer for school work.

PS. The previous forum said I should run a chkdsk/r. I vaugely know of this but would like more info on how to do this and how it will help.

Thanks a million.

2. tonysmith1929

tonysmith1929

Is this a new(ish) PC, OR have you recently loaded Windows ??? IF so Windows needs to be activated via Microsoft website, or it wont work after about 28 days from loading.
    Am sure someone here can help if this is not the problem.....Good luck....

3. smartit

smartit

Sounds like you could be having a few problems. I would run a test on the hard drive using IBMDFT (do a search and download it), this could be the reason why you keep getting chkdks comming up. A fault on the ahrd drive could have been caused by having to restart the computer using the power off button because you could not use the normal Start > Shutdown.

If your monitor went off but everything else stayed on, this could be down to your graphics card overheating. Take the cover off your computer and feel the CPU heatsink and graphics card heatsink when the computer is running (and also make sure the fans are working). The heatsinks should be warm, but not too hot to touch.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice