1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgent help needed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tineling, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tineling

Tineling Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm helping a friend with some computer problems. I've got some (very) basic computer skills, but technically I don't know a lot about them.
    This laptop is a Toshiba Satellite. When I try to start, it gives me this:

Press HOME key to abort RPL

LAN Adapter failed the media test.
    Please check the cable and reboot the system.
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
    Insert system disk in drive.
    Press any key when ready....

I've been looking around for help on the internet already, but haven't really found exact instructions.
    Can somebody help? Please keep in mind that I'm quite a newbie (^_^).

Thanks!

Tine.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Your computer is not finding the hard drive, which may have failed or become unusable for some reason.
    Can you see the HD in the BIOS?

3. Tineling

Tineling Thread Starter

Hi,

Do you mean in the 'Boot Priority'-part of the BIOS?

Boot Priority = CD-ROM - LAN - HDD - FDD
    HDD Priority = Built-in HDD - PC Card
    Network Boot Protocol = RPL

Does this make any sense?

Tine

4. Hughv

Hughv

The first screen of the BIOS (Usually) identifies the Make/Model of the HD.(Hitachi, Toshiba, etc.)
    Can you see that info?

5. Tineling

Tineling Thread Starter

On the first page I can't seem to find that kind of info, but on the second page of the BIOS this is what I read under 'Drives I/0':

Built-in HDD
    = No Drive
    CD-ROM = Secondary IDE (170H/IRQ15)

Nothing in particular about what kind it is...

6. Hughv

Hughv

Your drive is not being detected. It may have failed or become inoperative for some other reason.
    You can remove the drive to test it, or boot to a CD to check the drive. It depends on how much expertise you have or how much you want to learn.

7. Tineling

Tineling Thread Starter

Ok, so if I understand, the drive isn't completely lost or destroyed or anything?
    I'm willing to learn a lot, if it's ok for you to help (^_^). How can I get things fixed?

8. saikee

saikee

Yep sounds like the hdd not detected as Hughv suggested. The Bios then tries to boot the other media.

If a resident hdd failed at the hardware level (not detected) then it may be in serious trouble with possibly a total loss od data. If the disk is housed in an external hdd enclosure and detected then the priority should be retrieving the data immediately.

The next step is to remove the hard disk and hook it up as a USB device in another PC to see if it works.

Although possible but it is rather unlikely for an internal hdd to fail this way by a poor electrical connection.

9. Hughv

Hughv

You can start by booting to a CD like the OS install disk. You want to know if the drive is detected during the set up process, and you can use the recovery console for this.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
    If it isn't detected, and that's the most likely scenario, then you'll need to decide if you want to salvage the files, if possible and obtain a replacement drive.
    Give us the exact model of the computer. .

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice