1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgent Help On New Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faiz, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Greetings !

I have just purchased a Fx 5700 Ennyah Digicolor, Firstly I removed the old graphics driver and rebooted.I then put the comp off-- installed the card and booted initially it asked for the drivers and I cancelled and installed the drivers from the nvidia site , all was ok then the machine ---reboot--- all ok.
    I tried to play far cry black screen no activity, reboot, tried playing gta 3, black screen . Reboot , now when I put the machine on , the screen seems to have blue parallel lines , i am on a dual operating system , the same problem with win me black parallel lines. Now I don't even reach the desktop the computer keeps booting by itself.

My config
    Amd xp 1800
    Dfi ad73 pro
    512 ram
    80 gb
    gforce mx 440 ( Old card ,No problem with this card, working perfectly)
    Win me on C drive and Win xp pro on D drive

I have put my old card back in and sending u this message.
    Please help, i am in a real fix here.

My card is on this site

faizfx 5700

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I dont see anything in your post that says that you uninstalled the card prior to removing it? That action uninstalls the drivers, they could be conflicting unless all traces are removed first.

Secondly, its also entirely possible that the card is faulty.

Thirdly, is your power supply adequate for this card?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It definitely sounds like a faulty card or a power issue.

4. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thks for replying !

is there any way that I could work on the conflicts .
    How could I check the power supply, I don't have too many peripherals attached , its a 300w psu.

faiz

Just this morning I reinstalled the card and it successfully booted , the screen showed that new hardware is found, though i didin't do anything ,it couldn't find the drivers and said that installation was unsuccessfull .

I then tried old drivers 43.45 for xp install- boot the drivers were not installed .
    Then I tried the 56.72 ver installed -- boot and walla I get the same green parallel lines as well as constant reboots.
    once again I removed the drivers and I have successfully booted but I have seen minor streaks on my boot screen for eg the initial post, windows logo ....

I really don't know how to detect the error , at the moment it looks like a driver issue !!!

Please stay on and let me know before returning the card, cause now the card boots ok only gives an issue when I install the drivers.

Any way I will keeping my machine ' ON ' all sunday and see if any errors crop up.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You really should be using the latest 61.77 drivers for this video card.

The best way to attack this is to test your video card in another computer or to return it to where it was purchased to have it test - that is if it was locally bought. You can also borrow another powersupply to test in your system.

300 Watt powersupply is below most recommendations for a new system. You should be looking at no less then 350 watt for a new basic system with at least 400 watt for a higher end system. Also be aware that cheap no name powersupplies are a common problem for computers not working properly, consider and Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, Coolmax, or another well known brand.

One other thing to look into is if there are any known issues between that card and your motherboard. Do a google search and read the FAQ's for your motherboard on DFI's website.

6. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thks for replying so soon !
    I checked out the Dfi website no conflicts about fx 5700.
    The first thing I did was download the latest drivers for xp 61.77, but no luck !
    I too feel its the psu cause my hardware monitor shows the following readings :-

+3.3V 3.12V
    +5V 4.65V
    +12V 12.41V
    -12V -12.77V
    -5V -5.14
    Vsb 4.78
    Vbat 3.28

Now these are the readings that I am getting on normal desktop mode,no programs running. I keep getting an error on the +3.3v as well as on the
    12V sayin it has exceeded the limits.

i checked out on a website where it says that the power consumption of a
    mX 440 Series is 30 watt and the 5700 series is between 75 to 80 watts.

Just a correction,I do have quite a lot of cards in my system , i'll elaborate the config:-
    Amd xp 1800
    Dfi ad73 pro
    512 mb ddr
    80 gb 7200
    asus cdrewriter
    hp cdrewriter
    pci cards:- realtek network card, firewire, tv tuner, sound blaster de 5.1( havin only 2 speakers)
    Usb devices -scanner,4port hub.

Do the probabilities point towards the psu ?? pls let me know .
    the first thing in the morning i'll try to get a new psu.

Thank you
    faiz

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    According to this: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ you're pretty close to the max wattage of your powersupply and the voltages are a little off - not that that is the problem for sure but its not good either and in the long run its a good investment to have a quality 400 Watt powersupply. A swap out test is the best and surest way to find the problem.

8. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

I'll let u know tomorrow, pls be around.

I just observed before closing down for the day, that my hdd light remains on, although it does flicker when there is activity, but it remains on constantly.( this has started only after this graphic card scenario).

Thought I'll just let u know !
    Just a question can you damage a graphics card if the psu is underpowered,ie.in my scenario ?

thks faiz

9. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi Triple6,

This morning I had gone to my computer dealer and asked him to check my psu , he installed a new one with the same wattage and the readings in the Winbond hardware doctor, were the same as posted earlier.( we kept the same old one, no higher psu were available )
    Now my config has remained the same for some time and I have had no problems regarding boot up, or system hang or any peculiar activity. It was only the fx 5700, after which all this hanging and freezing started.
    We checked the new fx 5700 in two computers and it was showing the same steaks and garble in both.
    Now Triple6 I wan't u to bear up with me:

There is also an issue with the hdd light which is always on, (newly started) as well as the computer seemed to reboot by itself. According to my dealer he feels its the Motherboard !

One thing was clear that the card was bad, but the hdd light being on troubles me.
    Luckily i got a replacement for my fx 5700, after installing it in the comp this is what happened.
    1. Go into properties cannot access the nvidia control panel.( comp reboots)
    2.cannot start gta3 and far cry (comp reboots)
    3.When I open internet explorer comp reboots
    4.There are no streaks or graphical problems on the desktop or on the boot screen so the old problem is solved of the card( I hope )

Now the issue is with the comp after I installed the gf 5700, is it that, it cannot take the load ????
    I'm full of questions ??

pls help

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could also be just a driver issue at this point.

Uninstall the NVidia drivers and use NFR to remove anything left over: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3233

Then go to Windows Update and make sure you have the latest Version of Directx 9.0, I would also recommend getting any and all critical updates and most if not all of the other updates except for the driver updates.

Then download and install the latest chipset/AGP drivers for your motherboard: http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=403
    Version 4.53 for XP, 4.43 for 98.

Now try reinstalling the latest NVidia drivers, if the continue to cause a problem try an slightly older version.

If that doesn't work then you might want to make sure all the connections are good inside the computer. Its possible something is loose. Unplug and replug in all the power and IDE data cables to all the drives and reseat the RAM any PCI cards. Might also be worth testing the RAM: http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=403

And yesw it could be the powersupply and the only sure way I know of ruling that out is to try another one - and one of higher wattage and possibly quality.

11. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi ! Triple6

Firstly the hdd light burning was my mistake , i had disconnected the power
    cable of the cdwriter and the data cable was still connected, so the light would remain on , thats taken care of.

now I will be try'in all the things that u gave in your last post, and get back to u.

I am still using my existing power supply, can't seem to get hold of a new good one.

faiz

12. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Greetings !

The present scene:-

1. when i run dxdiag it asks me that, would I like to run direct 3d , if choose 'yes' then the comp reboots, if 'no' then dxdiag runs but direct 3d under display is grayed out.

" The error message that windows will report is :
    " D:\windows\logfiles\watchdog\1040907_0393_01.wdl
    The display drivers for nvidia gforce fx 5700 are responsible.

2. No games can be played, comp reboots on running game.

3. Movies running fine, can surf the net , the computer has been on the whole day.

You were right about the driver issue, but still puzzled about the direct x and nvidia Drivers.

please suggest
    faiz

13. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi !

All the above mentioned problems have been solved by turning down agp 4x to agp 1x. I can play the games now as well as run direct x with full acceleration.
    But now this puts me into another problem , how can I change my agp to 4x again.
    If i play the games under agp 1x will the performance suffer ??
    I wish to avail of the full potential of the card.

pls advise
    faiz

I have checked the card in another computer low end and it worked perfectly in 4x agp

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

hi !

Yes I did install the latest 4 in 1.
    i have installed the gforce tweak utility and I made the transfer rate to 4x, rebooted the machine and ran dxdiag no problem. Although in the bios the setting is 1x, even the nvidia properties shows 1x.
    My question is :

1.How do I find out the actual transfer rate 1x or 4x ? does the computer listen to the bios or Gf utility ?

2.Is there any old version of 4in1 and nvidia driver that would be able to be compatible ?

3.Are third party drivers good enough ? i never overclock !

4. Any utility program to find out the transfer rate ?

Thks for stickin on

faiz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice