Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urgent Help Please! Reinstall a HP pavilion notebook

713 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  grace33 
#1 ·
I have a HP pavilion zx5078cl notebook. It's a wide screen type. I was getting some weird problems, so I reinstalled the operating system. When I decided to reinstall, I thought this notebook just like others having a nice recovery CD that can wipe out everything on the harddrive, and reinstall everything anew. But it didn't do that. This HP notebook did not have a recovery CD, it has a windows XP CD, a application CD and a driver CD.

When I reinstalled the windows XP, I chose to delete partition, but it's not allowed, then I went ahead to reinstall anyway. Here is the bad outcome, after XP is reinstalled, all the letters are stretched laterrally (my notebook is a widescreen), and the resolution is 600x800. I tried to change the resolution, it stays with the low resolution. There is no sound out of laptop as well.

Please help me out, give some clue how I can get the screen show normally. Or if someone has a recovery CD (that can wipe out everything and install nicely), I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much in advance.

#4 ·
Yes or no. The "No" is that I overwrote the old XP, so really there is only one. But is just moments ago, I tried to install again, but decided to quit in the middle, I now saw two choices (one for XP, one for setup). So I should go into the XP that have installed and install the drivers?

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

#6 ·
I installed the driver disk, it worked. Now the screen appears properly, and there is sound. Thank you so much. But the problem is not over yet, somehow, there are two XP on the laptop, one is under directory C:\Windows, one is under C:\Window.0, I don't know how it is created, I need to remove one, it seems causing troubles with installing Norton Virus. How can I wipe out the whole disk? There is no where allow me to do that.

#7 ·
Go into Start/Run and type msconfig
Click the boot.ini tab and post a screen shot of what it shows like the one below which is mine.
If you don't know how, here's how;
When the screen comes up like mine press Prt Scr (Print Screen), it may be next to F12.
Go into Paint and press Ctrl + V, the shot will appear save it then upload it to here.

Attachments

#8 ·
Wolfeymole, Thank you very much! I have got everything resolved, and had a clean XP installed. I followed Bob Cerelli's direction reformatted the hard drive. I didn't try your boot method yet, as my internet connection was down most of today, and yesterday afternoon (everything was failing altogether:-(. I will try next time (yes, I easily mess up laptop without knowing how, I am sure there will be a reinstall in 6 months:) Thank you so much for your warm heart! you are so helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.