1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgent Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheManic, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheManic

TheManic Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I wanted to install xp over my 2000, and so i loaded everything up installed everything and then got to the partition selection. It would not let me delete C: because it said there were files that were needed for the setup, arent they supposed to be on the disk? So it couldnt delete, but i continued and installed it on that partition (C: ) thinking that after words it will ask me to format. IT didnt.. and i now have 2000 and XP installed and i dont wanna multiboot. I tried going run the format c:, but it wouldnt let me heres wat it said:
    Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. WOuld you like to force a dismount on this volume
    y/n. If put y or n it just closes either way. What do i do??? Im new this. This was going to be the first time id reformat. I only want one windows help please !
    I really need help. All i want to do is format now. But i cant. Please help me!

2. TheManic

TheManic Thread Starter

Please help!

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Need some details first. How big is the drive? Is there more than one partition on it?

Is the XP CD an upgrade CD or a Full version of XP, Home or Pro?

Is the 2000 install an OEM install or do you have the 2000 CD?

Does the XP CD come with SP2?

You cannot format a drive from the same drive, which is what you were trying to do. To install XP properly on its own and be able to format you would need to delete the existing drive(s) and re-partition before formatting and installing.

You can do ALL of this work from the XP CD from partitioning and formatting to installing. It helps if the XP CD has Service Pack two as it saves doing a LOT of updating and you get a cleaner install.

My computer was originally made for Windows 2000, btw.

Clean Install XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Example of partitioning an 80Gb drive: (Maxtor Diamondmax 7,200 rev/min with 8Mb drive-cache.)

80Gb (Decimal size) = 80,000,000,000 Bytes , divide by 1024 three times to give the Binary sizing:

78125000 Kb
    76293·95 Mb
    74·51 Gb

(10·0Gb = 10,000,000,000 Bytes (÷ 1024) = 9765625 Kb (÷ 1024) = 9536·74 Mb (÷ 1024) = 9·313 Gb)

Drive C: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) Operating System & Programming. 2000 Min & Max paging file. (2048Mb on the drive.) (Drive Image Backup to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive D: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) (My) Documents & Email Folders.
    (Copy Backups to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive E: 20480 Mb (20·0Gb) Music only.
    (Drive Image Backup, otherwise original Audio CDs)

Drive F: Remaining Drive Space. Archive, Video, etc.
    (Archive Copy Backup to CDRs & Data DVDs)

Drive F: also has an Automated System Recovery (ASR) BackupC.bkf file for drive C: , to use with an ASR floppy.

All drives are partitioned & FULL formatted, directly from the Windows XP CD, to NTFS

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice