1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgent: How to access password protected folder from external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by metrogal, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metrogal

metrogal Thread Starter

Spent $$ buying USB connected case to get access to files on old internal hard drive from failed PC. Can see directories/folders using my system running XP Professional but they are password protected, cannot access. What can I do? Saw old question from 2006 but no answers - thread had expired.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

It all depends on how they were protected. If it was with a third party program, sometimes you need that third party program installed, and the password. If they were natively encrypted and the certificates were not backed up, there's no way of getting at the data.

If they were just private files there is a need to take ownership before they can be accessed. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

3. Lumps

Lumps

You could also use SIW, theres a freeware program that will load and it will show you most usernames and passwords, if that doesn`t work try google there are several programs that might work to solve your problem.

Good Luck Lumps

4. metrogal

metrogal Thread Starter

thanks - no special protection beyond the native windows - will read - I was told it would cost me $50+ for someone to help me get access to these files - is it just time-consuming?

5. metrogal

metrogal Thread Starter

tried googling, but not sure what exactly to search on - could you be more specific with product or freeware names? or the search I should make? either way...

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867949