1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

URGENT! HP Laptop can load XP, Blue Screen of death appears!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bgs024, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bgs024

bgs024 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    I have just spent hours and hours trying to find info and solution for my problem but I have had no luck whatsoever. I hope someone here can help me.

Ok this is the situation.
    I have got a HP Laptop that is about a year a half old, its top of the range. I had my laptop in Hibernate mode the other night and the next afternoon I went to turn it back on there was a blank screen for a long time, all the lights on the laptop were on but nothing on the screen. I turned the laptop off and then back on again. and BOOM! The blue screen of death!
    The computer starts up with the HP logo and then it pops up a screen saying that a previous attempt to start up had failed and it gave me options to start up in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, start with the previous successfull start config, and normal start up. When i click ANY of these the windows logo pops up for about 3 seconds and then the blue screen, which appears for long enough for me to read 3 letters or numbers at a time. Then the computer restarts and we go through the whole process again.
    This is what I have done in the hope of fixing it.
    #I used my HP retore disks and it loaded disk 1 of 3 and it didnt ask for the other 2 disks which i thought was odd. But that made no differeance still the same start up process as explained above.
    #The blue screen made mention of chkdsk and i read about some poeple on the net doing a chkdsk and it fixing similar problems. So i read that i needed a xp install disk to access the windows recovery console and type r. BUT i have a OEM installation so i have NO disks! So what i did was i got the XP Pro disk i have from a few years ago that i had on Desktop. BUT when it goes into recovery console it can not find any hard drives!
    #Ive tried spinrite and it reads all the hard drives in the computer so i know that they are still there.
    #I've tried to find some chkdsk bootable cd's but most are either floppy only or they only for FAT16/32 file systems, my file system is NTFS.

I'am convinced from the research done that if I can run CHKDSK on the computer then it should fix the file error and then i can at least back up my data and then do a full format and start fresh again. But I have to be able to get this computer running.

I just tried the "Last Known Good Configuration" selection and it says that the system32/config/SYSTEM file is missing.

I would welcome any help, as I have exhausted all options that I can see available to me. From what I can see, the biggest problem is that im running a OEM version of windows. But then again the recovery console couldnt find the hard drives, so i dont know.

2. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

Go into your BIOS and look for a setting that says something about "view error messages" or something to that nature and make sure it is enabled. Don't spend to long looking because it may not even be there. Anyways, Check Disk may fix your problem or it may not. You could also have a bad stick of memory so you may want to try removing one of the sticks (if you have to) or replacing it if you only have 1.

Just to be clear on using the recovery console. Did you do this?

1. Load XP disk.
    2. On FIRST screen press R.
    >>>Recovery console should now open<<<
    3. Press 1 to select the first disk then press ENTER.
    4. Type "chkdsk /r"

3. bgs024

bgs024 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,
    I didnt get as far as the chkdsk command. Once i type R it tells me that there are no hard drives detected.

4. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

My guess would be that you drive is dead. A sure way to know is pull it out, put it in an external enclosure, then hook it to a different system. If you can read it then the drive is fine. You can also run check disk if you can read it.

5. bgs024

bgs024 Thread Starter

Well i ran spinrite and it finds the hard drive not a problem. The things only just a year old, HP Computers are a piece of crap hey. I wish I had gotten a Mac.

I must recover the data on the computer, at least the stuff on the second hard drive.

6. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

I'm not sure how spinrite works (never used it). How much info about your drive will it give you. Does it say the size and such?

The reason I ask is maybe the program just sees that you have a drive plugged into the port, but the drive isn't actually functional. Like I said though, never use the program.

7. bgs024

bgs024 Thread Starter

I think I have made some progress this afternoon. I was able to download a DOS boot CD and i did a DIR on the hard drives. Interestingly.... Drive C is the Recovery drive, Drive D has all the system and program files and drive E is my other drive. From the look of it all data is there. But im abit confused as to why the HP Recovery data is as drive C.... Im thinking maybe that is why it didnt boot properly.

Before I id this DOS boot, i did a couple of HP recovery's, Now the message I get is that "inf\biosinfo.inf" is missing or currupt.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice