1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

URGENT: Need Help Installing Windows XP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KingsDude, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KingsDude

KingsDude Thread Starter

Hey everyone, first time poster, long time viewer here. I am having SO MUCH trouble installing Windows XP Professional. I have figured out one of the few problems, I hope. One problem was that Windows didn't like the PCI IDE Card, in which I had 4 CD Drives plugged into. After I took out the IDE Card, and the other hard drive, I got it to install, but PAINFULLY SLOW! It takes about an hour each progress bar, like each little installment, takes SOOOO long, and at the very end, finalizing installation, it just stops forever, and nothing happens. The only things I have plugged into the computer are:

1) Primary Master 1: Maxtor 40 Gig Hard drive
    2) Primary Slave 2: CD-RW 48x read
    3) NIC Card
    4) 320 MB of RAM

Does anyone know what I should/can do? I don't like to take it into a repair guy, because he charges about $50/hour, and he probably doesn't know more than all of us. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated and will be taken to value!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

On problem installs I try to eliminate everything except what is absolutely necessary for the install. Usually just the one hd, video card, ram, and one cd drive.
    Are you booting from the xp cd or are you trying to install from something else like a win9x boot disk? If you are booting from the xp cd, I would go into the bios and load defaults prior to trying the install.
    Just noticed you have your cd drive set as slave the the hd; set it as master on ide 2. After you are up and running then you may add pci cards, extra hd, cd drives etc. Recheck all jumper settings.

3. KingsDude

KingsDude Thread Starter

I am booting from the XP disk itself. However, it always goes SOOO slow.. Could that be a problem, having the CD-RW be a primary slave 2? I will change is right away.. I'll let you know how it goes..

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have two cd drives hooked up to ide 2. Installs always seem to go better from the cdrw than from the dvd drive. Seems strange since they are both LiteOn drives, however I have noticed quite a bit of speed improvement from the cdrw drive over the dvd driv

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you still have problems, I would just have one cd drive hooked up set as master on ide 2. You can install the other drive after you have installed xp.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

Could also try different sticks of RAM if you have them handy.

I have had more xp install problems due to cheap ram than anything else.

7. KingsDude

KingsDude Thread Starter

If Windows 98 installs fine, then what should I do? I have kept it very simple, and all I have is 128 megs of ram, a cd-rw and a hard drive in, and the installation sticks at 39 minutes remaining. What if I install Windows 98, and then upgrade? would that work?? Would it eliminate any problems??!!

8. Dan O

Dan O

I don't recommend you upgrading from 98 to XP.

I recommend you see if a BIOS upgrade is available for your PC, as it is a known issue that XP often requires a BIOS upgrade because it uses ACPI. Also check all your BIOS settings.

9. chinese_ninj

chinese_ninj

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to re-install XP on a cpu I'm not familiar with. The CPU went down, and I've been having a heck of a time getting the O/S to install. I'm not getting any errors, but it's taking hours on end. I finally let it run, and I'm heading to bed. I'm hoping once the O/S installs, everything will clear up, and it will be able to manage itself, and adjust. I've not checked the BIOS to see if it needs to be restored. Has anyone discovered anything new with this problem?

I've noticed it hangs up all along the installation, not just while it is trying to install at "39 minutes". Even copying files to prepare for installation took 1 1/2 hours. Please help if you know anything at all.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!