Urgent - Windows XP Copy Windows updates from one PC and apply on other PC's?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

StumpedTechy

Okay I just got to a center for one thing and I found a bunch of problems. I have a bunch of PC's at this center that need SP2 and a bunch of other KB patches. I don't have any media here but I do have my USB drive. They are on ISDN and I don't want to wait for the download on each PC due to the painful slowness.

I have 1 Pro PC here that has all items installed... Is there any Dirs I can copy from this one to the others and get it installed with whats here?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Go to the Windows Download Center and download all of them, put them on the USB drive. Then you can carry the USB drive around and install them all. You will have to download them once, since you don't have the install files.

StumpedTechy

Tks I was hoping to avoid downloading them altogether.

Just an FYI taking things from the C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads folder and copying them to another folder does not work (which seems interesting due to the fact its the same packages)

Maybe this doesnt work due to all the funky number/letting that is added on to the directory first.

I gave up on this and told a coworker to bring my media with him tomorrow.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm afraid one download is necessary to do the magic. :D

StumpedTechy

I just figured I could have scraped it fro ma PC that had already done the download.... but I guess windows update mangles that.

StumpedTechy

Wow I figured this out!

Of course too late to be of any benifit to me (today) but here is the information in case anyone has this question in the future.

First off all Windows Update files go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

With that being known you will find there is a BUNCH of folders in there (this being after a windows update has been performed). If one hasn't been then its empty (not sure when it empties out).

Each folder will be a bunch of letters and numbers (not sure how its generated but it looks greek to me). Then what you do is look in there. there is a psm file with the KB number!

It looks like this-

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Random number\XXXXXXXX.psm (where XXXXXXXX.psm is the KB number.)

All you have to do is then go to the Update folder and run Update.exe!

I.E. C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Random number(looks to be in hex form of some kind but I can't decypher)\Update\Update.exe

So for example - KB901017 comes down into folder 94d4564c331fd50de11e52451ac2e679

In this example if I wanted to apply KB901017 to another computer I can copy 94d4564c331fd50de11e52451ac2e679 and all subdirs to a USB drive then just run 94d4564c331fd50de11e52451ac2e679\Update\Update.exe

Just an FYI if anyone else comes across PC's that may already have an update and you just want to copy it over (without having to redownload it again).

get a 256 MB thumb drive and get all of the updates on it from a broadband source it will take about 10 minutes..put them in a folder..like XP updates...98 Updates ect..when you install them be sure to put a checkmark in the box to NOT RESTART ..wait until you have them all on before restarting...you can also copy them to a CD to carry around...it will take about 15 minutes per computer to update completly...I do this all the time

If you have downloaded all the updates from the microsoft download site, and don't wanna spend all afternoon clicking
thru all the executables if you apply it to several pc's, do the following:
copy and paste the following into an textfile:
Code:
@echo off 
setlocal 
set PATHTOFIXES=C:\updates

%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB873333-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart 
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB885250-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart 
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-SP1-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB888113-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB888302-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB890859-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB890923-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB891781-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB893066-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
%PATHTOFIXES%\WindowsXP-KB893086-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
Replace the filenames with your actual updates,(above is an example).
Then edit the PATHTOFIXES to reflect the location of all the fixes.
Finally save it as runall.bat and doubleclick the file to execute.
Voil'a ! all updates applied with no restart in between neccessary.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I like that little command file, it would speed applying updates. :)

When I look at the Windows Update Catalog, I onlysee 15 or so .net updates . . Is there another place to find the list?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can go from Windows Update to Administrator Options, Search the Download Catalog and get tons of updates. :)

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, As another way to help update an XP machine, get the XP SP2 CD which is once again available but for how long....?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

It's OK to borrow a SP2 CD and use it> Microsoft encourages it.

You would think that SP2 and XP wouldn't fit together on one CD but they slipstream really easily using AutoStreamer.

You can also just download the full or network install of SP2 and make your own CD. I'm sure this is not news to you guys but it may help someone new to XP/ Updates.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts