1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

URGENT_problems trying to recover my admin password for my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by concentratzen, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. concentratzen

concentratzen Thread Starter

Hi,

i lost my password for the administration user account of my macintosh HD partition and i was trying to recover it trough some steps i found on a tutorial on the web http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Lost-Admin-Password-on-Mac-OS-X the problem is that when i got into the part that its supposed to show up a :/roots # it doesn't show up that but instead bash-3.2#.

From here whenever i try to follow the tutorial instructions i just can't.

Is there any advice concerning to this?

thanks so much in advance,

.bd

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Whilst I appreciate that the situation regarding the password reset on Mac systems is slightly different from Windows - insofar as there is a procedure promulgated by Apple on their official site, I consider that your situation IMHO falls within the ambit of a rule of this site

I have referred your topic for decision by a site Administrator or Moderator

3. concentratzen

concentratzen Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster,

thanks for the reaction. I indeed thought about that before posted the thread and i do understand that you have no ways of knowing which intentions i have with asking help on this process. But as i was desperate and i really forgot my password and didn't sync it with the icloud password i am now on that situation and since i need to uninstall and install some software for the work i am doing( currently doing a urban art/architecture project) and i am sort in a rush against deadlines i hoped someone on this forum that i used before and i completely trust could somehow help me.

I am sorry if it goes against the rules of the forum and i totally understand if this is not possible.

Again thanks for your reply,

.bd

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. Macboatmaster

concentratzen

As you can see the decision has been made that we may assist - the posted link in post 4 is to what I referred to in my reply

Good luck with it I hope you manage to complete the project within the deadline.

6. Macboatmaster

Does this help

1.Reboot into the Recovery Drive by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘command’ + ‘r’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the start up screen you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen.

2.Go to the Utilites - tab menu and select Terminal

3. at the terminal prompt type resetpassword (no space)
    press enter

4.This launches the Reset Password screen, select the Volume Hard Drive in the top part of the window pane, then for the user that you need to reset select the user account in the lower part then add and confirm the new password and click save, you get a confirmation screen

5. Go back to Apple Menu click restart and all being well you can then log in

Please note - I have no real knowledge of Mac systems and I think how it works or if it works depends very much on the version of the OSX.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice