1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgently need advise re: adsl modems and wireless connections with VOIP system

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Caribwork, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Caribwork

Caribwork Thread Starter

H all, I do hope you can help me as I'm technically challenged in many areas. I'm in the Caribbean getting trying to get a start up of a combined training facility up and going in the middle of a mountain rainforest preserve, located at 1500 ft elevation. I am paying for a 256k adsl hookup from the local phone service provider and bought a Netopia model 3300 adsl box from them for this purpose with lan line going to my computer. I also pay another provider for a sort of VOIP system, I think it is through Net2Phone, and I am given a Florida phone number with it and unlimited calls to and from Canada, USA and some parts of the Caribbean. All of this is essential to getting this little training service business up and going. Trouble is I've been thru 8 ADSL Netopia and Zoom boxes as I'm in the lightening capital of the Caribbean apparently. The phone line will not work thru the excellent surge protector unit I purchased so I must leave phone line plugged to modem box and dash to unplug when I see a hint of lightening. Unfortunately we sometimes don't make it in time. I am wondering a few things so I can figure out how to immediately address this latest blow out of the modem box and of course can't use the overseas phone line now. I have a dial up back up, slowest on the planet, and can't use it for the VOIP.
    1. should I try to find another ADSL box perhaps on Ebay or someplace like that. We can no longer afford the high price we are gouged for the modem box (from usd$ 100 to 125 for a box we can probably find on ebay for $15 dollars)
    2. or should we get an inexpensive wireless system....will that even work in my setting that I've described here? and can I use the VOIP overseas phone line with it? this phone line comes with its own box which I hook thru the ADSL modem....something to do with WAN and LAn connections.
    3. if I must stick with an adsl box do any come with a built in lightening protection? where can I find the least expensive one as we are really strapped with start up capital at the moment.
    4. is there a better way to do this overseas phone line business if I go wireless, or even stay with the ADSL? I pay a flat rate of $50 per month and get USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and Western Europe including cell phone calling capability. I don't know if that is good or not.
    Please I'm open to all suggestions and sorry to ask so many questions, guess I'm just fed up with blow ups and paying for services I can't use due to blow ups.
    Thanks for your help.

2. rolandk10

rolandk10

Have you asked your phone company if they recommend a surge protector that will work with the modem they gave you? I can't believe they haven't been asked this before if every one of their customers looses a modem after a lightening storm.

3. Caribwork

Caribwork Thread Starter

Well this is a small, off the grid and foreign Caribbean island......the phone co. doesn't really care much about this sort of thing and it is up to the customer to find their own protection system. Mine doesn't work. Someone said to try a devise that plugs right in to the wall phone outlet and then the phone line plugs in to that so if I find that sort of devise, I'll purchase it and try it. Meanwhile I need to figure out how to proceed with having a adsl line or wireless and how this will or will not work with a VOIP phone system. Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

4. O111111O

O111111O

Lightning sucks, doesn't it?

First off, if phone line surge arrests aren't working there's a high probability that you have a bad ground potential.

Second off, standard MOV type line arrestors won't help if you are indeed being struck by lighnting. You need a gas discharge type, and some HUGE groundblocks on your building, and groundpath for your lightning arrestor.

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/phone_dsl_lightning_protectors.php

Purchase that, and a grounding kit. If you don't get theirs, run some #6 wire for ground. Ideally you should have a 6' copper rod with building ground and frame ground for your lightning arrestor tied to this.

You'll have to manually wire phone line. You want the output of your NIJ to run into this, and the output of this into your building phone wiring. Then you NEED TO GROUND THIS BLOCK.

I've installed gas tube arrestors for issues like this. YOU REALLY NEED GOOD BUILDING GROUND.

5. Caribwork

Caribwork Thread Starter

Thanks for the grounding info and boy is that needed. I'll tell the fellow who is to come help me with maintenance and that sort of thing so he can pull that together. I'm sure the wiring you speak of is available around here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice