1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Urgently need to recover chkdsked files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by biovore, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biovore

biovore Thread Starter

Hey guys, I am in huge trouble.
    I work at a school, and I put about 130 gigs worth of teachers files, which are highly important, onto an external drive that is 250 gigs. I was going to back it up, but since its the holidays I was in a rush to get every lab re-imaged. Our department had some guys in doing work experience, and one of them was using the external drive to ping image some machines. He apparently corrupted it somehow, and then chkdsked the drive.
    When I had a look at it, the drive partition was apparently only 70 gigs or so, and it was about 50 gigs full. Every file was 0 kilobytes. I tried some recovery tools, but they didn't find anything. I tried some uncheckdsk tools, but they didn't work, and I assume its because none of the files have a .CHK extension and there is no found000 folder.
    I haven't told the head yet, as I wanted to look this up over the weekends. I don't know what to do, and the work experience guys are gone now because school starts in a couple of days.
    I really need that data, please tell me there is some way of restoring it?
    Cheers.

2. gmcbee

gmcbee

I've used a tool called Handy Recovery with great success. If I recall, it's about $20 bucks.
    The company is in the UK, so there may be a little time lag in payment processing and/or
    the email that contains the registration key.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!