1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

US to UK Date Format in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by smileclick, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smileclick

smileclick Thread Starter

I was searching for a way to enter dates such that they are interpreted in the US (not UK) date format, i.e. mm/dd/yy not dd/mm/yy. It was unresolved in this closed thread http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/910502-us-uk-date-format-excel.html
    Since I've solved it, I'd like to share the simple solutrion with interested parties:

1. Close all Office applications.
    2. Open Control Panel>Clock, Language, and Region>Region and Language>Change the date,time, or number format.
    3. Under Formats, use the drop down to select "English (United States)".
    4. Then close and open Excel. From this point on entering 7/1/11 will give you 1 July 2011, and not 7 January 2011.

Don't forget change it back afterwards (unless of course you're moving to the US :)

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    You can also format the cells to your needs

Use the custom format
    dd/mm/jjjj;@
    mm/dd/jjjj;@

The ;@ forces the date to that format, you enter the date as you normally do so if it's Brittish dd/mm/yyyy and it will change to mm/dd/yyyy if the format is set to mm/dd/jjjj;@

What has to be clear for the use tis that he she has to enter the date as he knows ir should be

If they are used to entering day month year they will have to do that even though the format says different.

because February 1 2011 entered as 1/2/2011 will become 2/1/2011 in mm/dd/jjjj;@ format.

I hope I have been able to explain it,
    The advantage is that you don't need to rememebr that you changed you country settings

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If the World were to change to the Year/Month/Day (2011/10/04) format, then none of us would have a mistaken date!

And within any text the sorting would be correct!

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    I agree, headaches would be less too :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice