1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

US to UK Date Format in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by abbyt1904, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abbyt1904

abbyt1904 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a list of dates in Excel in US date format and I can't seem to get them to switch into UK date. I've tried the classic re-formatting and putting the data into notepad etc. Sure its pretty easy.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

First, make sure they are entered as dates and not as text. To do that, highlight the cells, go to Format, Cells and see how they are currently formatted.
    If they are formatted as dates, you can either change the format to Special and enter this in the bar at the top:
    dd/mm/yyyy;@
    or make it date and change the country at the bottom from US to UK.

3. abbyt1904

abbyt1904 Thread Starter

Thanks
    I've tried this actually but no joy. Tried all sorts.

Thanks anyway

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Here are two formulas that will convert the date format in an adjacent column. If you want the number of the day to be 2-digit (e.g. 01/01/2010) then I will need to change them a bit.
    Notice that the formulas are in columns with General formatting - if you want to get rid of the column you currently have, you will need to copy and Paste Special, Values the formulas.

Attached Files:

5. abbyt1904

abbyt1904 Thread Starter

Amazing!
    Thank you so much!

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Almost anything is doable in Excel.... LOL!
    (I have a much better relationship with it than with my last girlfriend! I guess I understand the one....) ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice