1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'US' vs 'World' opinion

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Gram123, Dec 20, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Okay, this is taken from (UK) Channel 4 news, quoting from an article in the International Herald Tribune:
    Okay, now, my opinions are not represented by this article, but I am interested in this divide of opinion. The people who responded to the poll consisted of "275 opinon leaders", whatever they are, in "24 countries".
    I'm posting it here because most of you guys are in the US and this probably didn't get much coverage over there.

Americans interviewed on the news program about the findings tended towards the opinion that either Osama Bin Laden, "the Middle East", or even "the World" were jealous of the power and riches the US had. I stress that these opinions were from the public, and did not constitute part of the poll.

Channel 4 news: http://www.channel4.com/news/home_page.html
    International Herald Tribune: http://www.iht.com/articles/42521.html

Any thoughts?

2. angel

angel

Definitely interesting and I don't doubt that others view things a little differently than here in the US, but does polling only "275 opinon leaders" really provide you with an accurate sampling?

3. marioh

marioh

I'm an American and I believe our foreign policy is partly to blame for the attacks on 9/11. But I believe there is a bigger and more evil reason behind the attacks, which wasn't mentioned in the poll (not surprising) and which I won't get into.

4. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

Gram:)
    One word Gram ..... MULDER:rolleyes:

5. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Angel - I agree. I'm very suspicious of what an "opinion leader" is - it doesn't event make sense - is it like a "trend-setter"? Were these the first people to have that particular opinion? Or is their opinion just more important than us 'norms'.
    I think they're actually a mixture of politicians, journalists and other 'commenters' on the war.
    And yeah, only 275 of them kind of makes a mockery of the percentages. It can hardly be taken to be representative of public opinion. I'd be interested to know exactly who these people are.

JH - yeah, as soon as I thought of posting the article, my thoughts turned to what the Mulderator might have to say about it!

Gram

6. kitmac

kitmac

Hi all,

First off, nice to find another NEARLY Geordie on these forums (my gran lives in Redcar, Gram).

Like Benjamin Disreali (one of our most illustrious Prime Ministers) once said : 'There are lies, damned lies, and statistics'.

Let's not get so close to the trees that we lose sight of the forest.

Kindest Regards
    Kit

7. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hi Kit.
    I know this is off thread, but are you a Toon fan? I am, and I'm constatntly surrounded by Smoggies down here. The pub sure turned quiet when we beat Arsenal on Tuesday!
    I work at Teesport, probably about 2 miles from your gran's house.
    I used to live in Boro, but am currently back at my folks house in Billingham, saving up to by a house with my girlfriend - one of the places we're looking at moving to is Redcar...

Gram

Howay the lads, hope we stay top by beating Leeds on Saturday.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice