1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 and Firewire combo card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LONGHAIR, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR Thread Starter

Do any of you have any experience/opinion about these? I have been searching and reading reviews about them. I have come across several bad opinions/comments, but they seem to be configuration issues on the part of the user. I have not had my box open in a while...........no hardware problems. I have USB1.1 now, but I'm looking to upgrade to make the best use of a "thumb-drive" type device. I really don't have an immediate need for Firewire, but I figured it would be helpful some time, so why not?
    Or would I be better to add just the USB2.0 now and do the Firewire later if needed. I have the PCI space to do that. I'm somewhat concerned about IRQ issues either way.

Also, should I remove the 1.1 card and "replace" it?
    I'm trying to avoid problems.........It seems much easier that way

2. moebius

moebius

usb 2.2 is the fastest, followed by 2.0 and then firewire. usb is next. firewire is mostly used by external harddrives, and these are expensive. most newer models support usb 2.2/2.0 though

and almost all new thumb drives are usb2.2 compliant. i say get the usb 2.0 card.

3. moebius

moebius

oh, and keep the 1.1 card. it wont cause any problems, u might buy new hardware later on, and need it.

4. moebius

moebius

one note: usb2 compatible, supported or compliant devices will work on usb 1.1

usb2 enabled devices dont support 1.1

5. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

Mobius I'm using a USB 1.1 Gamepad on a USB 2.0 port right now. :rolleyes: I think you need to research a little more before you give advice. ;)

6. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

Oh, Longhair, sorry about the thread hijacking, one thing to note, if you're using any OS other then XP, it doesn't support USB 2.0. I learned that the hard way after buying a system that had ME with a USB 2.0 card in it. The only reason I can figure they put it in was cause the company ripped me off in general, and it was one more way for them to. Someone might have written a driver for it by now, but back then there wasn't. Just thought you'd like to know that. :)

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Oh, Longhair, sorry about the thread hijacking, one thing to note, if you're using any OS other then XP, it doesn't support USB 2.0. I learned that the hard way after buying a system that had ME with a USB 2.0 card in it. The only reason I can figure they put it in was cause the company ripped me off in general, and it was one more way for them to. Someone might have written a driver for it by now, but back then there wasn't. Just thought you'd like to know that.

I quote an earlier post, Do your research before giving advice.

Native USB 2.0 support is in all Windows versions since ME.

The only reason I can think of for buying Firewire at the moment is if you have devices that need it. There is a new version of Firewire coming out.

8. moebius

moebius

1.1 devices work on 2.2 ports. not vice versa

9. moebius

moebius

my dad paid extra to get a firewire port on his laptop. he has never used it ... :S

10. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

Actually they will work on 1.1 ports, they just won't have the accelerated capabilities that they do on a 2.0 port. I've used a USB 2.0 Thumbdrive on a USB 1.1 port before. ;) Oh, and Dave, I don't know, I only know what the tech support people for my computer told me. I guess they were wrong. ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/185553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice