1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 CD R/W drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ladybug76, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladybug76

ladybug76 Thread Starter

I have an 2-year old DELL computer, and want to buy an external CD R/W drive to copy some information.

How do I know if my computer has USB 2.0 compatibility? Can I buy a drive that uses USB 2.0 even if I don't have USB 2.0 plug on my computer?

Thanks.

Kelly

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

go to your device manager.

if it says "enhanced" under your usb controller, then its 2.0. if it doesnt, its not.

a 2.0 device will run on a non-2.0 computer but it will transfer data at the slower 1.1 speed.

3. ladybug76

ladybug76 Thread Starter

Thank you JT! :)

4. RiViT

RiViT

Mine dont even tell the version...

5. RiViT

RiViT

oh Should I download 2.0 and where...

6. slipe

slipe

If you have a 2 year old computer it did not come with USB2. The burner will work on USB1 but very slowly. The add on cards are not that expensive but you still have to open the computer to install one. Why not just install an internal CD writer?

Unless your Dell is a laptop an internal burner is a much better installation. The externals are more expensive and tend to cause more problems. If all of your slots are full you can just replace your CD-ROM drive with a burner.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect you'd have to open the case to install an internal drive too. :D:D

FWIW, I really like the add-on USB 2.0 cards, and they give you real flexibility. You can pack your devices to other computers if you like, and they're great for backup disks. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice