USB 2.0 hard drive adaptors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RCharles789

I bought an adaptor to convert an old laptop hard drive to a USB 2.0 Mass Storage device.

The adaptor does not work when plugged into an older DELL laptop USB port. It is detected by XP, which says it's a Hi-Speed USB device plugged into a low speed USB port. Also says it should work at slower speeds.

It is listed in Device Manager as "Mass Storage Device" but under status says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I can get access to a newer PC with USB 2.0 ports; will this solve the problem?

Thanks

Ray

USB 2.0 Drive Enclosures DONOT like to operate at 1.1 speeds. Since USB 1.1 is SOO SLOW, there are a lot of timing issues that rear their ugly heads. Most other 2.0 devices CDRW, DVDRW, PEN DRIVES don't have this problem. They adjust to the lower speeds quite well. It sounds like the Old Dell Laptop only has USB 1.1. If you need to access the USB 2.0 drive on the older laptop, you may want to purchase a CARD BUS adaptor that support USB 2.0. I had to do this on my older ThinkPad, because it only has USB 1.1 on board. The PCMIA card works like a charm.

Storage_man

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, I have to disagree with that statement. I've never had any issues running USB 2.0 hard disks from USB 1.1 ports, other than the obvious speed issue, and I've done it lots of times with a variety of systems. USB CD-RW or DVD-RW drives, OTOH, will have problems at USB 1.1 speeds.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Try this:

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

JohnWill

I have to dissagree with your response. I have physical support where some 2.0 external drives work on 1.1 and others don't. I don't know what type of enclosure RCharles789 is using, but most work and some don't. The key of my response was if it works ok on 2.0, and it doesn't 1.1, then the enclosure has a problem.

Storage_man

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
storage_man, you're certainly free to disagree. I have a variety of 2.5" and 3.5" drives here, and I have a number of clients using them on everything from W98 to XP. To date, I've never had any issues, other than speed, running them on older machines with USB 1.1 ports. Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely? IMO, it's pretty rare.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online