1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 Hard drive problem (OK on USB 1)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Korky, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Korky

Korky Thread Starter

I have a tricky problem with my FREECOM external USB drive. I would really appreciate any help or guidance.

I have a Freecomm USB 2.0 drive. I have also installed 2 USB 2.0 ports on my 650mhz Dell PC (running W98 SE).

I installed as directed, plugging into a USB 2.0 port. The drive froze up after a minute of copying to it, and would not then work on any of the USB 2 ports.

However, the drive is backward compatible with USB 1.x and seems to work fine when plugged into one of those ports.

Any ideas? All I can think of is that I am just expecting too much from this old PII PC and it can't keep up!

My thanks,

Korky

2. mobo

mobo

How much ram do you have in the system ?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Did you install the 98 usb2 drivers before you plugged the drive in?

4. Korky

Korky Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

The USB 2.0 W98 drivers are installed. (In fact the drive seemed to work OK for a few minutes, then fell over. Also it is fine when plugged into the USB 1 ports). However, I will double check this area.

The system itself has 256mb RAM (all checked OK). However, it is a PIII running at 650 Mhz with W98. I have a feeling that it may be being pushed a bit hard myself.

Best wishes,

Korky

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you tried the Freecom support forums? If you have registered the drive with them they can be helpful.
    Can you check the USB2 card by running a different device on ot?
    I run USB2 on a PIIx266 with128Mb and W98se

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd uninstall the drivers for the USB 2.0 board, remove the board, and boot the system. Make sure all is well and no traces of the driver remains. Re-install the USB 2.0 board, the drivers, etc. and try again.

The problem sounds like the USB 2.0 board and not the disk. Of course, you could test the disk on another system, on W2K or WXP, no drivers required, just plug it in.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice