1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 not recognized as high speed ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luke_Vader, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Luke_Vader

Luke_Vader Thread Starter

Recently my USB ports are not performing as high speed ports like they're supposed to. They're all 2.0 ports, but when I plug something in to any of the ports, I get a message saying "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a High-Speed USB 2.0 port" then says "click here for a list of available ports".

When I click for the available ports, all 6 of my USB ports are listed, but they all do the same thing.

I'm running Windows Vista SP2, just ran update to make sure everything is up to date, opened device manager to make sure there werent any conflicts with my ports, and scanned and updated drivers for all of the ports. Still, I get the same message and the same slow performance.

Any idea what could be causing this?

EDIT : And just to be clear, they're showing up in device manager as "Enhanced Host Controllers" so I guess my computer recognizes them as high-speed, they're just not performing as high-speed for whatever reason.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Do you have a USB 1 device plugged into any of the ports?
    That can slow the controllers down.

3. Luke_Vader

The only things plugged into any of the USB ports are the 2 wireless dongles for my mouse and my keyboard. Both were plugged in before I started having this problem.

4. Luke_Vader

Also, I have tried unplugging both wireless dongles and tried plugging in devices into each of the USB ports and they all bring up the message about faster performance if I plug them into a high-speed USB port instead.

Also tried system restore, but it was turned off and there's no point that I can roll back to.

Every turn is a dead end so far. Any help is greatly appreciated.

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Might try right clicking the enhanced controllers in device manager
    and click uninstall.
    Then restart the computer and let windows reinstall the drivers.
    Might be a corrupted driver.

6. Luke_Vader

I've tried that but to no avail. I cant uninstall all of them because I get to the point to where I have 1 port left and it's the one that my mouse is connected to. If I uninstall all of them, I have no way of restarting my computer because I cant control my mouse.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What make and model PC or laptop is it ? If custom build what mobo ?

You mentioned you updated drivers for all the ports, how did you do that ?

8. Luke_Vader

The PC I have is an ASUS CM5570. When I check the ASUS site, there's a drop down menu to choose the OS I have, but Vista 64 bit is not an option. It only lists DOS and WIN7.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=14&s=11&m=CM5570&os=&hashedid=VBsPjPfUJKEoqZSR

I did some searching around online and it seems that I have this motherboard...

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5QLVM_EPU/#overview

...and Vista 64 bit is listed as an option for OS. There's so many things to choose from though, I'm not sure which I need to DL to address the issue I'm having with my USB's.

When I tried to update the drivers for the ports, it was with Device Manager. I right-clicked each port listed in device manager and chose to "Update Driver Software". On all 8 ports though, it said that the drivers were up to date.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try downloading the Chipset driver Zip for Vista 64 from your second link, unzip into a folder and run the Setup.exe file.

10. Luke_Vader

OK...

When I tried to run the setup.exe included with the chipset drivers I DL'd from the second link, a window pops up and says "This computer currently contains software version 9.2.0.1025, which is newer than the version you are about to install. Are you sure you want to overwrite the current software with the older version 9.1.0.1007?"

I assume the answer is "No"

EDIT: But if I choose "yes" and install the older version, couldnt I update back to the newer 9.2.0.1025 version by updating the drivers in device manager if the older version doesnt fix my problem?

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  12. Luke_Vader

It states that the version I have 9.2.0.1025 is the latest version. I'll try rolling back to 9.1.0.1007 to see if anything changes. If not, I can go back to the newer one with the link you provided above. I have to restart right now but I'll report back with the results. Thanks so much for your help!

13. Luke_Vader

No luck after installing the older drivers; it's still displaying the "faster performance" message when I plug in a USB device. Not really sure where to go from here. It doesnt make sense to me that the ports are showing up as high-speed USB ports but not functioning as high-speed ports.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice