1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 PCI-Card recked the system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rizzon, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rizzon

Rizzon Thread Starter

Hi

I recently setup a wireless network at my aunts and we noticed she got way lowers speeds then she should have. After looking trough her system I noticed her south bridge only supported USB 1.1 and her wireless USB card needed the 2.0 speed.

So yesterday she bought a USB 2.0 PCI-Card (This is not where I bought it from but a spec of the card) , plugged it in and turned on the computer (Intel 1.9GHz, 512MB SDRAM, Windows XP SP3).
    I wasn't around when she did this and she says that some message appeared saying something about the CPU and the CMOS and then windows wouldn't boot.

I went there today to check it out. The card was inserted correctly into one of the PCI slots. The BIOS however had reseted to defaults. Tried booting into windows and the "Windows was shutdown unexpectedly...bla bla...Do you want to start in Safe Mode, Normal boot, etc, you've got 30 seconds"-screen showed. I selected the start normal and the screen went black except for a blinking underscore ("_")<---Not a smiley, an underscore, and nothing else happend, even left it there for a few minutes.

So, back to BIOS, changing all the settings to what they should be. Tried to boot again, same thing. Nothing after the underscore. Tried Safe Mode, tried booting WITHOUT the USB card. etc etc. Still the underscore. So the computer can't even be used now.

So, do I need to reinstall windows or might there even be a hardware failure somewhere? Thing is that the XP-installation CD broke last time I re-installed XP(After the installation was complete, it fell on the floor) on her machine.

Would be really nice if anyone could help. If you need anymore info about the setup feel free to ask.

Thank you

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Did you try pulling the card and resetting CMOS before booting? Jazz

3. Rizzon

Rizzon Thread Starter

If by resetting CMOS you mean put the settings on fail-safe defaults then yes. Also tried with Optimized defaults.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

I actually mean pulling out the CMOS battery for a few minutes and allowing your bios to reset completely. The hardware changes with the default settings might be the problem on boot. Pull the battery out and after a few reseat it. On boot go into the bios and reset your appropriate system setup. Make sure all the hardware necessary is enabled. Reboot and see if you can get back to where this all began.
    Have you tried the F8 Safe Mode to see if you can get into your OS? Jazz

5. Rizzon

Rizzon Thread Starter

Will try that next time I have the chance.
    Why would the F8 Safe Mode work if the Safe Mode from the other screen didn't?

The computer is quite old, can it have been a HDD crash?
    After reading on some other forums I get the feeling that this might have something to do with the HDD, maybe my aunt accedently touched the IDE cable and made it slip out of the socket? But then again, if that is the case would I get the "Windows was shut down unexpectedly last time...bla bla"-screen?

What else do you recommend me to check when I go there next time?

6. Rizzon

Rizzon Thread Starter

anyone?

7. jazz3000

jazz3000

Microsoft will replace the XP disk at minimal cost to your Aunt. Just call them and give them the key code. If the disk came with the machine call the company and get a replacement, (again at minimal cost).
    You need to start from the basics so far as knowing what to do about the hardware and CRJ has a post at the top of the hardware forum that should assist you - step by step.
    Unless you have the ability to swap a hard drive out (i.e., with another drive) you won't be able to determine if it's shot or not.
    Without your OS disk however I'm not sure that would serve much of a purpose. I would suggest you start there and follow the post CRJ posted and see what happens. Jazz

8. Rizzon

Rizzon Thread Starter

The company that supplied the PC is long gone so I guess she has to contact Microsoft.
    CRJ has several stickied threads but I can't see which one you are referring to.
    What exactly was I suppost to do with the XP cd? I understand another drive but the xp cd?

9. jazz3000

jazz3000

If you go up to Software & Hardware at the top of the page and click on that menu then click on the drop down menu to get to the first page of Hardware, you will find the three top posts. CRJ posted the middle one. Checking out all three will be a big help. Microsoft is pretty good so long as you haven't pirated their OS and/or trying to run an oem on another system other than the one it came with. Let us know...Jazz

10. Rizzon

Rizzon Thread Starter

The three top posts are:
    Sticky: Guide for installing and configuring Raid
    Sticky Thread Sticky: Guide for building your own system.
    Sticky: Troubleshooting Guide for "Problem Builds"

And from what I can tell they are all created by crjdriver and I don't see how any of them can help me.

My aunt contacted Microsoft, although it appears they weren't very helpful nor friendly she managed to borrow a friends computer to order a new cd online although not for "minimal cost" but for a third of what a new OEM license would cost.

11. jazz3000

jazz3000

This is the Microsoft number for licensing 1-800-426-9400. They would be the ones to refer questions and answers about your OEM. I'd try again.
    As to CRJ's troubleshooting - you were saying you were concerned about the actual hardware being an issue. He gives a step by step regarding what you need to do to make certain it isn't a hardware problem.
    For instance: Is it possible that in dealing with the usb install the fan or cpu were accidently touched or moved?
    If your concerned about hardware you start from the beginning to make sure everything is seated and plugged in. Jazz

12. Rizzon

Rizzon Thread Starter

She orderd the CD from microsoft, weird thing is that when she spoke the them on the phone they told her to order it online but that's kinda tricky without a computer...

Anyway, we'll move the computer to my place during the weekend and I'll see if I find anything. Thank you very much for all the help so far.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice