1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 PCI Card troubleshoot help needed!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snipas187, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snipas187

Snipas187 Thread Starter

I bought an Ultra 5 port usb 2.0 card because my computer only has usb 1.1. when i hit the power button to fire the computer up i get an error message upon POST for the pci slot that i have the card plugged into. I've never flashed the BIOS, anyone think this would take care of it? or is maybe a problem with the card? i'd consider myself a beginner when it comes to pc troubleshooting

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would start by moving the card to another PCI slot. Whats the exact wording of the error message?

3. Snipas187

Snipas187 Thread Starter

Resource Conflict: PCI Serial Bus Controller in slot 02
    Bus:00, Device:OE, Function:00
    Bus:00, Device:OE, Function:01
    Bus:00, Device:OE, Function:02

Ok, so after several hour of trying to understand this, I think I'm a little farther...

I restarted in safe mode and saw that both my UHCI and EHCI "cannot start (code 10)"

I am thinking that the controller for the USB1.1 (which came w/ the comp.) and the controller for the USB2.0 (pci card I'm trying to install) are both trying to share the same IRQ and thus I'm having conflicts. I've tried resetting the defaults in BIOS and that doesn't work...I'd really hate to try to reinstall Windows to see if that works, my other idea is flashing BIOS since I've never done it in the 7 years I've had this computer.....any ideas?

4. Snipas187

Snipas187 Thread Starter

Oh yeah, sorry, I've moved to every slot and error message still occurs.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Reinstalling Windows won't help if the error message is displayed by the BIOS, its a hardware conflict.

Flashing the BIOS may help if similar issues are addressed by a BIOS update.

Have you tried enabling Play & Play in the BIOS or ACPI? Or turning off the onboard USB?

6. Snipas187

Snipas187 Thread Starter

my mobo options are limited, i don't see anything for the acpi but plug and play should be enabled. after the error message, if i choose to load windows and if it does load w/out freezing, xp sees the card and searches for drivers but then the computer freezes, i've never got farther than that. i've read that a bios update may take care of some of the acpi issues that occur w/ windows xp on older models, just haven't read anything specifically w/ my mobo (a7m266-m)

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its up to you, you can try a BIOS update, it may resolve the issue.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice