1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 PCI Card Upgrade lead to USB Mouse freeze and system problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dominic57, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dominic57

Dominic57 Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I hope some one can help me here. I have a Windows XP pro Evesham PC tower case with an Athlon Processor 2100X, I read several postings about upgrading USB 1.1 to 2.0 and I bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and installed it in a slot where there was previously a three point firewire card. Since installing this card my USB mouse freeezes or jumps all over the place. Especially when other USB devices are plugged in for example my webcam and the sound card crackles and thuds constantly. What is going on? Any clues would be gratfeully appreciated. Cheers
    Dominic57

2. rhorne4

rhorne4

I Assume That You Have At Least Service Pack 1 Installed.you Have To Have Service Pack 1 For Windows To Support Usb 2.0.

3. Dominic57

Dominic57 Thread Starter

Hi there Rhorne, thanks for your message. I do have both Service Pack one and two installed. I have now removed the offending PCI card after trying it in several different slots on my motherboard. Unfortunately now even the old set up of my computer does not seem to work and I still get crackles out of the soundcard and the mouse responds erratically whenever I try to use my webcam, even though it is plugged into my old USB port onth ePC which I imagine are still 1.1. :( So now I am totally confused.

What now??

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

5. Dominic57

Dominic57 Thread Starter

You are a genius, Johnwill. I followed your instructions and all is back to normal. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice