1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 Ports working as regular USB ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by black05pony, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black05pony

black05pony Thread Starter

Hey guys, brand new kid here. Fairly computer literate but not a whiz by any means. I had to do a Windows XP System Recovery on my HP desktop PC a few weeks ago and since then my USB 2.0 ports haven't been themselves.

Before when I used my Kingston 4gb SDHC card in my front USB 2.0 ports (as they're labeled) it worked at full speed with no problems. After the System Recovery, when I plug in the card it gives me a message saying "This device could perform faster if it were plugged into a High Speed USB 2.0 Port." The problem is, my Device Manager lists a high speed port and hub on my computer, but I get the same message on all the ports on my computer. I tried updating the drivers and uninstalling and reinstalling them but to no avail.

Is there any way to fix this?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Try updating Windows to Service Pack 3 then uninstall all USB devices in Device Manager (Start> Control Panel> System> Device Manager) and then reboot.

3. black05pony

I just finished installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 and uninstalled all of the USB stuff via Device Manager and rebooted. It's still acting the same. I tried uninstalling all of the non-2.0 devices in Device Manager and using just the Enhanced Device Controller, but it gives me the same message.

Any other ideas? BTW thanks for the help. :)

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

This may or may not help:

From JohnWill at TechGuy.org, Dec 5, 2006 in reply to user whose USB ports seem to have quit working.

Click Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEYSTEMurrentControlSetontrolession Managernvironment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

5. black05pony

Well i've tried that now too and still no luck. I guess i'll have to deal with the slow speed of USB 1.0 on my 2.0 ports/devices. :( It just sucks because its a 4gb card and takes like 15 minutes to put 1gb of stuff on it.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Let me be clear about this: Are we using on-board USB, an add-in USB card or both?

From your posts, it seems this is a software (Windows) problem. I know it sounds like a lot of work; but, if I couldn't find a better solution, I believe I would just restore the computer back to its original factory configuration. Your situation might not warrant such an extreme solution; but, in my case, I use my flash drives too much to be waiting on one-twentieth of the normal speed.

7. black05pony

I don't know much about it, but i'm assuming they're on-board, as they came installed on the computer when I bought it. I only use the SDHC card as memory for my Nintendo DS Flash Cart so its not vital that I have blazing fast speeds but its not fun waiting either.

The main thing is that the files on the card have become corrupted once before and I had to take everything i could get off, reformat and put everything back on, which ended up taking me like 2 hours because the file transfers are so slow. :(

8. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There is a disconnect procedure for removing the memory card. I hope you are using it. Not following the disconnect procedure will corrupt data on the card.

9. black05pony

Yeah to the best of my knowledge you go to My Computer, right click the flash card and hit eject and then remove it. Thats what i've been doing anyway. :eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/805180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice