1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 Problems - Gigabyte Board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Newfie99, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newfie99

Newfie99 Thread Starter

I'm using a Gigabyte 7VAXP motherboard and am having trouble getting USB ports to run in 2.0 Mode.

I am running XP-Pro and had SP2 on. After talking to Gigabyte support, which was not terribly useful, they suggested that I go back to SP1.

I uninstalled SP2 and the updated everything under SP1 using windows update.

Anyhow, all USB ports are running fine but then I connect a USB 2.0 device (Kingston Flash drive etc.) I get an error "A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB Hub."

Have connected device on other computers with no problem.

Devices are recognized but are running at 1.1 only.

In Device Manager manager "VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller" and "USB 2.0 Root Hub" are showing up as working fine, along with several other entries: Three "VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host COntroller" entries and Three "USB Root Hub" entries.

I have tried removing all devices/drivers and adding them back and problem remains: The USB 2.0 Devices are still working too slow.

Have removed all other USB devices and gone back to PS/2 mouse and keyboard while testing and have tried USB 2.0 device ain all ports with same results.

Don't see any jumpers or settings on the board or anything in BIOS (USB 1.1 and 2.0 are both enabled). Don't know what I'm missing?

Appreciate any help or suggestions with the problem,

Newfie

2. john54321

john54321

Hi,

I don’t think that I can answer your problem, but here is my similar situation with the GA-8KNXP board.

I struggled for nearly two years before I gave up. I started with an e-mail to Gigabyte as follows.

“I have just purchased my first USB 2.0 device (EZMaker - video capture). We have found that the USB ports do not work at 2.0 speed.
    Device manager shows that the "USB 2.0 Root Hub" is not present. It appears to be a driver problem. Any help would be gratefully received.

The spec is detailed below.

Thanks...etc.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-8KNXP
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.0
    BIOS Ver : Award Modular Bios v6.00PC
    Serial No. :
    Purchase Dealer : Broadberry Data Systems
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : Radeon Model : 9200
    CPU Brand : Intel Model : P4 Speed : 3.00 GHz
    Operation System : Win XP SP :
    Memory Brand : Samsung Type : DDR
    Memory Size : 1 Gb Speed : 400
    Power Supply : 300 W”

The only reply was to update “the drivers” and by now I’m on SP2, updated BIOS and updated everything!

My supplier was unable to help and after nearly two years, I mailed him (see below)

I cannot help feeling that the answer is in the attached article that I found, but after two years I have just given up 

Hi (supplier’s name),

As promised, the story so far in case it helps you.

I set myself a limit of 18 months, the 18 months is up and I don't think that there are anymore KB articles at MS, Intel, Gigabyte or anywhere else that I haven't read. So, I've given up, I can use Firewire instead.

I assume it's not a problem for you, but last time I spoke to (a member of the supplier’s staff) I thought that I was getting close with the file association analogy and the order of loading the drivers; I said I'd give him a copy and forgot. Can you pass the attachment on in case it's of any interest.

I have managed to get USB 2.0 speed just once using the "file association/install order" idea (I didn't keep a totally accurate count but I must have been down to "bare metal" somewhere between 60 to 80 times) , that just as the order in which you load apps. will affect e.g. which app. will run if you double click a .jpg because of file associations - then you need to load the drivers in the "correct" order.

But it did make me get the latest Satalink driver and "up" the bios from ver.F5 to ver.F12

I was going to write everything up myself but then found the attached article so now I’ll just attach that and give up.

Cheers.......................................JB.

Attached Files:

3. the_thin_man

the_thin_man

I've seen the error message "A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB Hub" before and had to put on xp sp1 to fix it so I know that sp sp1 supports USB 2. So your problem is getting USB 2 working at all not just with xp sp 2.

Have you tried an add in board for some extra USB hubs? If that worked then you could then be definite it was a MB issue.

4. john54321

john54321

Hi,

I suppose I did keep my description of all the things that I had tried fairly brief, as the previous poster seemed to have had no luck with replies.

I think I have tried everything possible. SP1, SP2. I have tried various USB peripherals, which work ok on other systems, and I have tried adding “add-in” USB ports with their drivers. Everything will only run at 1.1 speed.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you download and install the latest motherboard drivers for your board? If not, do so. Next, try this:

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

6. john54321

john54321

Thanks John. I've gone round in circles for so long now that it's useful to have each step laid out clearly. I'll be taking each step VERY carefully. Cheers.JB.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I offer no warranty on my process, but it quite often gets the USB channels back to proper operation. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/319802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice