1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb 2.0 to fast ethernet adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smilema, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smilema

smilema Thread Starter

Thanks for the birthday greeting. I have a problem with trying to connect my linksys router to my computer. My pc is win98SE with a usb port connected to my cable modem. I tried to adapt the usb port to ethernet in order to connect the blue wire from the router to my pc. It won't work. I can use my laptop if I disconnect the connection to the pc or use my pc on the internet if I disconnect the router connection but I can't use both at the same time. Am I clear? Help. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I'm not sure what's wrong but the cable modem should be going into the WAN port on the router and then the PC and laptop (wired or wireless?) are connected to any of the router's LAN ports (or by wireless signal).

Instead of trying to adapt the USB to ethernet I would just use the ethernet adapter port unless you don't have one. Configuring the router may be the step you are missing because that's what handles the distribution and sharing of the internet connection and it needs all the settings and password, etc. that your ISP gives you for valid account verification.

3. smilema

smilema Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick response. The problem is that I do not have a ethernet port for the blue cable to connect to my pc from the rounter. I am trying to adapt the existing usb port on my pc to a ethernet port because that is what the linksys router requires-a ethernet wire from the wan ports on the router to the pc.. I think you missed what I was trying to explain. When I connect the original usb cable from my pc to my modem I get on line. no problem. but my laptop canot get online. When I disconnect the usb line from my pc, my laptop can pick up the wireless router but I lose the online capability on my pc.. Where's the problem. Anyone help. thanks

4. smilema

smilema Thread Starter

Farinooks Sorry I meant to write LAN and instead I wrote WAN. The cable modem wire is going into the internet port on the router. That's not the problem. The problem is I cannot connect the blue wire from the LAN port to the pc. since I have no ethernet port on my pc. I thought it would be a simple porcedure to simplely adapte the usb port with a ethernet adapter, but that's not working.So???Anyone.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice