1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 to IDE & Sata cable help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Koach, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Koach

Koach Thread Starter

I'm trying to take all my files off my laptop HD and put them on my desktop seeing as I crushed my laptop.
    I am using a USB 2.0 to IDE and SATA connector.
    When I plug in the connector the comp recognizes my USB but it doesn't show up in my comp as specific hardware.
    I use windows xp pro. If anyone can help me access these files itd be greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I am not sure what happened to your laptop, but if you ran over it with a car or truck it may have damaged the hard drive too. Any physical damage?

Can you hear it spin? If you cannott hear it spin, does it feel like it is spinning? If you hold a spinning hard drive in your hand and move it, do you feel 'resistance' to movement as you would with a spinning gyro? (Most people are unable to detect this though).

Also go into the laptop BIOS setup to see if the drive is seen there.

3. Koach

Koach Thread Starter

Lol thanks for the reply. No I didn't run it over. There isn't any damage to the HD that I know of, just the laptop monitor. Actually I can't feel any spinning

4. Hughv

Hughv

Check the power connection. My USB adapter sometimes fails to power up the HD, and a little judicious wiggling gets it going.
    I've run into problems with two SATA HDs lately (One 3.5" and one 2.5") wherein my Win7 desktop read them as unformatted, but my Ubuntu box read them correctly and allowed the files transfer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice