1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE + Going crazy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rikkiesnumber, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rikkiesnumber

rikkiesnumber Thread Starter

I took an old tower in to the computer shop, and was going to add some things to this computer but after being told the processor had gotten hot and was a crappy one anyway, i decided to wait and get a new computer. SO I bought a kit USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE OTB. I have 3 small drives from the old computer and trying to get them onto this computer. I don't have anything in the CD drive. Just empty. I have 2 parts left, So in non-computer language, I have a blue part with alot of pins hooked into the old drive and the cord on that goes into the USB on the front of my computer. The only other thing I have hooked up is the power supply going into the old hard drive. Green light is lit on the old drive and red light is on the blue deal with all the pins. I pushed the button and the drive made the noise like it was doing something. Now what? I see no icons, nothing. The two small cable I have left, no clue. One has a white end with 4 pins and a black end. I found a pic on about.com if that would help. Seems this would be simple. I've spent way too much time doing different searches and 0, nada, that helped. If it would help someone help me know what to do, I'll find the pic of the exact same set-up.

This is all old pics and music videos..it's like they are floating somewhere. I read I that I need to format the drive . I've been into try to find the stuff, and into computer management, admin. tools. (was told to try that by a friend)

Thx in advance...

2. Sponsor

3. catlady13

catlady13

DO NOT FORMAT THE DRIVE. ! ! ! ! ! ! That erases everything and makes it far harder to get any kind of recovery.

4. catlady13

catlady13

Is there any chance of posting a picture of what you have set up there? It doesn't sound like an external hard drive. Or if not can you find a picture on the internet of what you are talking about? It might help.

5. rikkiesnumber

Home > Cables > Cable Adapters & Splitters

IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Cable Adapter w/One Touch Backup - Turn Your 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" IDE or SATA Drive Into A USB Drive!

Part #: 2020-OTB
    Warranty: 1 Year
    Condition: New
    Packaging: Retail Box
    Ship Weight: 1 lb
    Manufacturer:
    MFG Part #: 2020-OTB
    Supported By: Geeks

If this image doesn't come up, I'll try another one The box just says USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE OTB. It has a SATA Mass Storage that I just put in to my old drive and then the cord attached to it goes directly to the USB Port, it says simple and easy on the box, They guy at the computer shop just plugged in one of my old hard drives to his computer and up pops all my stuff on my old hard drive. Maybe I have the part plugged into my old drive incorrectly. I'll look for the actual pic of how it was hooked up. Thx again.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R0YFFSC1L._AA300_.jpg

Reg Price: $14.99
    Save: $5.00 (33%)
    Now: $9.99
    Qty

Turn your IDE or SATA drive into a USB device!

This IDE & SATA to USB adapter cable lets you access any 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch IDE or SATA 1.5 Gb/s hard drive or 5.25-inch optical drive through a USB port. Just plug your drive into the adapter, power it up, and connect it to your Mac or Windows system. With this adapter, you can access your old drives without having to install them in your system or you can connect an IDE and Serial ATA drive simultaneously to copy between them! With its One Touch Backup button, backing up your data is as easy as ever!

Order now!

Features/Specifications:
    IDE & SATA to USB Adapter Cable

6. rikkiesnumber

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice