USB 2.0 Upgrade causes lockups

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

elbel86

I recently installed a NEC USB 2.0 5-port PCI card in my HP Pavilion running WinXP w/ SP2 and now when I connect a device to any of those ports, the system will just freeze for about 20-30 secondes and it will keep doing this every minute or two, even if I remove the device. One solution I found is to disable the "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller", but that makes those ports use my old 1.1 controller, thus defeating the purpose of buying this 2.0 card. Any ideas?

elbel86 said:
I recently installed a NEC USB 2.0 5-port PCI card in my HP Pavilion running WinXP w/ SP2 and now when I connect a device to any of those ports, the system will just freeze for about 20-30 secondes and it will keep doing this every minute or two, even if I remove the device. One solution I found is to disable the "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller", but that makes those ports use my old 1.1 controller, thus defeating the purpose of buying this 2.0 card. Any ideas?
Just guessing, but are you currently hooking up your devices to the ports of your new card with a 1.0 cable and need a USB 2.0 cable for your 2.0 device?

-- Tom

elbel86

No, actually the two devices have have tesed with are a 2.0 flash drive(no cable needed) and a 1.1 wireless mouse(with built in 1.1 cable)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

elbel86

No luck, it continues to lock up as before, and the fastest way for me to test this is to click on the remove hardware safely button. It will freeze as soon as I touch that or randomly if I dont click it. Still seeking an answer, thanks for trying though.

G'day elbel86, you might try a different PCI slot.
Aren't these kinds of problems fun!
I have seen a similar problem when the USB system becomes confused with the 1.0
and it doesn't know whether it is up or down.
Did you follow the installation destructions carefully and install the software before installing the hardware, this appears to cause a problem if the generic driver or whatever is allowed to be loaded first with the found new hardware stupid thing working automatically.
Cheers, qldit.
Cheers, qldit.

elbel86

The instruction for XP said to power down, open case, install card, power up and windows would do the rest. I will try switching slots, but I only have 3 one is my video card and the other is my NIC, so if its a bad slot, then no USB 2.0 for me.

elbel86

I switched slots with my NIC and still no luck, the slot must be good as I am online, so maybe it's a defective card? I dunno, guess that's what I get for shopping at radio shack. Still looking for an answer before I return it.

Good morning gentlemen, the PCI slots are scanned usually starting from the top, they are then assigned resources, sometimes changing slots overcomes odd conflicts, that was the reason for the suggestion.
Sometimes ensuring the the specific motherboard drivers are fitted for that particular motherboard may help.
You might try a different brand USB card next.
As a last resort when all else has failed, consider doing a clean install with a slipstreamed version of XP, this overcomes a lot of these kinds of problems, it appears some problem happens with the driver database when SP-2 is loaded over the top of a previous system. (at least that sounded pretty good to me, but it certainly has fixed a few odd problems in different machines, especially AMDs)
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online