USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 sticks for Linux

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OM2

I want to try Linux on a USB stick
USB 3.0 stick - obvious choice? Will run faster

Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Before anyone says: I do have a USB 3.0 slot on my laptop

Thanks

OM

managed

Allan
Only just read this so you can disregard my warnings in your 'caddy' thread.

I would go for Usb 3, it's quite a lot faster than 2 and you should be able to boot a 3 stick at full speed since you have a 3 slot. Even if it won't boot at full 3 speed I'd still get a 3 stick, they seem to be faster than a 2 even in a 2 slot.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
They are faster even in a 2 slot. I seem to remember seeing that there were problems with making them bootable in USB£ slots, but that may have been fixed or I may be wrong.

crjdriver

I have had a few issues using the usb3 port however when I use the usb 2 port [usb 3 flash drive] it works and boots fine. New distros are being released everyday so this may have been fixed.

managed

Allan
I think the Bios has to support booting from a Usb 3.0 device for it to work.

managed

Allan
Using a Usb 3.0 port I think you'll just have to try it and see. As crjdriver mentioned a Usb 3.0 stick in a Usb 2 port will boot up ok but at Usb 2 speed. (Provided the Bios supports Usb booting of course).

crjdriver

From what I recall, when using the usb 3 port, it did show up on the asus quick boot menu as a boot disk however it just did not work correctly. Same flash drive put into the usb 2 and restarted; quick boot menu again showed the drive and it worked correctly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online