1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 sticks for Linux

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OM2, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I want to try Linux on a USB stick
    USB 3.0 stick - obvious choice? Will run faster

Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Before anyone says: I do have a USB 3.0 slot on my laptop

Thanks

OM

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Only just read this so you can disregard my warnings in your 'caddy' thread.

I would go for Usb 3, it's quite a lot faster than 2 and you should be able to boot a 3 stick at full speed since you have a 3 slot. Even if it won't boot at full 3 speed I'd still get a 3 stick, they seem to be faster than a 2 even in a 2 slot.

3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

thanks - ordering one now :)

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

They are faster even in a 2 slot. I seem to remember seeing that there were problems with making them bootable in USBĀ£ slots, but that may have been fixed or I may be wrong.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have had a few issues using the usb3 port however when I use the usb 2 port [usb 3 flash drive] it works and boots fine. New distros are being released everyday so this may have been fixed.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the Bios has to support booting from a Usb 3.0 device for it to work.

7. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Using a Usb 3.0 port I think you'll just have to try it and see. As crjdriver mentioned a Usb 3.0 stick in a Usb 2 port will boot up ok but at Usb 2 speed. (Provided the Bios supports Usb booting of course).

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From what I recall, when using the usb 3 port, it did show up on the asus quick boot menu as a boot disk however it just did not work correctly. Same flash drive put into the usb 2 and restarted; quick boot menu again showed the drive and it worked correctly.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice