1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb 2 info needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by randyrayd, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randyrayd

randyrayd Thread Starter

Since my real office is a Ford Explorer, I office at home instead of the corp office when I am not on the road saving a 64 mile daily commute. My fax crapped out so the office bought me a HP officejet v40xi. I'm not a fan of all-in-one stuff, but what the heck; it didn't cost me anything and I will keep my dinosaur deskjet 722C that works perfectly after five years hooked up.

My question: This printer is interfaced with usb cable. I'm sure my old beast (win 98-2 and I don't believe M$ does usb2 drivers for that OS) is usb 1, but know I can upgrade to usb 2 with a card and drivers, but don't know if that will speed up printing/copying/scanning. The specs on the printer say only USB connection. Does USB 2 have to be supported at both ends of the cable?

Also will the printing speed be noticeably increased versus the cost of the usb2 card?

As always, thanks for your help.

Randall

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

1 - Multifuction device are slow, when scanning there maybe some improvements - but usually the Scanning hardware is slower than USB.

2 - USB devices are USB 1.1 & 2.0 compatible.... As long as USB is running fine on your computer. Its a speed issue. YOu wouldn't want to use a USB HD on a USB 1.1 port.

3 - USB2.0 cards should come with USB2.0 drivers for Win98.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The printer will almost certainly work on USB1 as well as 2. You are unlikely to notice a speed difference (well you wont anyway unless you try both).

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Yes,it should be a USB2 on both ends.Typically,All-in-One units are not fast about anything they do,this one is about average for the money.
    Save your good intentions for another time and just use it as it was designed.A slow fax is better than no fax...

5. randyrayd

randyrayd Thread Starter

Most exellent replies and my thanks.

I believe I will just plod along at usb 1 speed. I still have my other printer if it's to slow. All I wanted was a fax.....but you know corporate....they know best.

Randall

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice