1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 2 ports no longer work (is USB 1 good enough?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MicFiend13, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MicFiend13

MicFiend13 Thread Starter

I have an old computer with USB 1 ports; and a 4-slot USB 2 card I added a few years ago. My external hard drive is almost constantly connected to a USB 2 port, but after the PC froze (I think while connecting or disconnecting an MP3 player to/from another USB 2 port), the EHD no longer works there. Usually when I connect it; a Safely Remove Hardware icon appears immediately on the taskbar and the EHD's light comes on, brightens/dims for a minute, then remains steady. Now: I don't get a Safely Remove Hardware icon, and the EHD light comes on steady then goes out after half a minute. It does work with USB 1 though.

I've already tried these steps, from http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/208371en

If your external drive's LED behavior has recently changed (and particularly if the drive is no longer detected or has changed the way it interacts with your computer), begin troubleshooting by following these steps:

1. Make sure the computer and external hard drive are powered on.
    2. Safely remove the drive from the computer (if possible).
    3. Disconnect the external drive's USB or FireWire cable.
    4. Disconnect the power supply plug from the external drive.
    5. Power off the computer.
    6. Disconnect the computer's power supply cord for 60 seconds.
    7. Reconnect the computer.
    8. Power on the computer.
    9. Connect the power supply to the external drive.
    10. Connect the drive's USB or FireWire cable and check for detection.

Firstly, do you know what the problem with my USB 2 ports is? (I've tried them all, and nothing works on them, not just the EHD) Secondly, how is USB 1? Will it be reasonable for a 700GB SeaGate? Is speed the only disadvantage, or does USB 1 have other problems? I won't mind as much if it's a little slower, as long as it's reliable.

---

Edit: I'm using Windows XP SP3. In Device Management>Universal Serial Bus Controllers, I have:

USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

I'm pretty sure there used to be something there called "Enhanced Host Controller", but now it's missing. Is that the problem? I've lost the CD that came with the USB card, but would I be able to download the driver from the internet?

I tried downloading it from here: http://download.cnet.com/VIA-USB-2-0-Enhanced-Host-Controller/3000-18493_4-165868.html. The "Download Now - CNET Installer Enabled" link, gave me an installation file that crashed when I tried to run it, and the "Direct Download" link gave me "viapatch" which I'm not sure how to use.

2. Simba7

Simba7

USB 1.1 runs at 11Mbps (~1.37MB/sec). USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps (~60MB/sec).

What is the chipset on the USB card. This would help us narrow it down.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried removing and reinserting the USB 2.0 card? Or trying it in another slot?

Windows XP with SP1 or higher has full USB 2.0 support, don't download any additionally USB 2.0 drivers as you don't need them. Also the VIA USB entries are the motherboard USB controller, the USB 2.0 card should have either "Enhanced" in it's name or "2.0", so it appears the computer is not detecting the card at all.

4. MicFiend13

The chipset is:

VIA
    VT6212L (G)
    0815CD TAIWAN
    23B7931131 (C) (M)

Also, it's actually a 5-port, not 4-port. 4 outside and 1 inside.

I tried removing the USB card and reinserting it, once in the original slot and once in a different one, but it still won't work. I don't get Add New Hardware or anything like that, and the list in Device Management hasn't changed.

Maybe there's something wrong with my XP, such as missing files. If I had the CD that came with the card for installing the drivers, would that work? Would it be possible to find those files on the internet somewhere?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    More likely there's something wrong with the card itself, it's probably just failed.

6. Simba7

Simba7

Sounds like a toasted card. It could have been caused by ESD from the sound of it.

Those cards are rather cheap, anyway. You can usually find them on eBay for between $5 and $10 shipped.

7. MicFiend13

Okay, thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice