1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 3.0 hubs - a/c, or bus powered?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by martinlest, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. martinlest

martinlest Thread Starter

I am using a couple of cheap generic 4-port USB 3.0 hubs at the moment (one port failed on one of them after a few months, so that one's a three-port hub now). I am wondering if I can do better and, being no wiser after 45 minutes on Amazon, would appreciate some technical (rather than purchase) advice.

The hubs (neither is a/c powered) are used to connect external USB 3.0 HDDs to the PC: two of those HDDs, a/c powered, I connect directly to the PC's USB ports; two others (USB bus-powered), due to limited ports on the PC, have to be connected via the USB hub. These external HDDs (my PC only has SSDs) constantly supply very large amounts of data - Ortho4XP terrain data if that means anything to anyone reading this! - to my PC whilst running X-Plane 11.

I assume great read performance is key here? Would I always get better external HDD performance by buying a powered (plug in) hub, rather than one that takes its power from the PC? I notice that one of the hubs in particular will not always run the external drives - they can click noisily if I boot up with them connected to it, so I avoid that and use the other one (also bus-powered, as I say), which runs the external HDDs OK, but maybe I am missing out by using such a basic one. Or perhaps, in practice, I would see no difference in X-Plane at all if I upgraded?

(If anyone does have specific recommendations, that would also be helpful (all hubs have their share of one-star reviews on Amazon and elsewhere of course, which is off-putting).. but any hub I buy, like the one I have, must have individual switches for each port).

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

3. martinlest

It's a small form (Thermaltake) case - I only have SSDs as internal drives. Not sure there'd be room for an HDD.. a lot of space is used up by the CPU cooler and fan..

The hub you link to doesn't seem to have switches (a must for my use, as I say)?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What need would there be for a switch? Do you mean to switch on individual ports?

5. martinlest

Yes, each port needs a switch, like on all the hubs I have at the moment. Many hubs have this, but I can't find a version of the hub you linked to with switches in this way,

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is just an example of what you need. I do not see why you would need a switch however if you want one, then get a hub with a switch. Each device you plug in should have it's own ON/OFF switch however if not, you could simply unplug.
    You do understand that usb type drives are NOT designed for continuous duty correct? Unless the enclosure has a fan [which most do not] the drive is designed to switch ON and make a backup, then OFF. Some more modern type external drives will shut themselves OFF or go into sleep mode. I just got a WD external drive that does this.

7. tecknurd

tecknurd

USB storage is OK but it gets expensive and hard to manage which one has the data. Hooking many to a hub decreases performance because USB is a bus based connection. You may need to step up to a DAS. If need to access data from different computers a NAS will be a better option. Synology or Drobo are good brands.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice