1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 3.0 Ports Slow Transfer Speed to Ext. Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eschumacher, May 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. eschumacher

eschumacher Thread Starter

I am having an issue with my USB 3.0 Ports. I am trying to back up a lot of my files onto a Kesu External Hard Drive, but I am getting abysmally low transfer speeds. They start at around 10-15 mb/sec, then drop to as little as 500 kb/sec over the course of an hour. I have already changed the Kesu's settings to prioritize better performance, and it's been recently formatted as a NTFS drive, and has nothing on it. I am using an HP Elitebook 8460p with Windows 7 64 bit. Please help, as I bought this hard drive specifically to back up my files or transfer them to a new computer, and I can't transfer anything with these low speeds.

Thank you!
    Eben

2. etech2019

etech2019

The thing is this the speed of copying files will be slow if the process recognizes a large file and becomes fast when it sees a smaller file.
    to aid the copying process you can download third party application(teracopy) for copying files faster.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Ensure you are actually using the USB3.0 port. There appear to be 4 ports, 3 of which are USB2.

What is the brand and model of the external HDD?

Also, speeds can vary based on computer usage while copying the files, the number of files, and the amount of data. The software used for copying can play a part as well.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Brand is Kesu. I haven't found much on this brand.
    What size is the Kesu?
    I was surprised that it came formatted FAT32.

7 of my extenal hard drives all came NTFS out of the box. They range in size from 500GB to 2 TB.

My extremely old and huge WD that is only 80GB might be formatted FAT 32 but that hd is about 15 or more years old.

5. eschumacher

Yes, it is a Kesu 320 GB, here is the amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKCPGVB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It seems very reputable, good reviews and all.
    I'm sure I'm using either a USB 2.0 or 3.0 (It has the little "ss" symbol). In either case, I should be getting speeds of over 20 mb/s. Sometimes is starts there, but quickly decays to 10, 5, then less than 1 mb/s to the point where it wouldn't finish transferring if I left it for weeks.
    I'm just using the standard Windows 7 transfer program. What other third party programs are there?

6. eschumacher

Capture.JPG

I tried downloading TeraCopy, but it does the same thing. After the first few minutes the speed drops to between 2 MB/s and 500 kb/s.

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

The USB3 ports are on the left side near the back, are you using those ports?

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I found this
    I've never purchased anything formatted as ExFAT.

If it is only used on Windows computers, ExFAT would not be needed.
    https://www.disk-partition.com/articles/exfat-format-tool-4125.html
    Also, apparently Windows 10 doesn't recognize ExFAT formatted drives.

What did you use to format as NTFS to replace the ExFAT format?

I found these directions:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. lynx1021

lynx1021

I think windows 10 can see ExFat if it was formatted on a windows computer but not if it was formatted ExFAT with a MAC.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice