Solved USB 3.0 speed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dannys22

I want to increase the internet speed on my computer. I just got a Netgear Nighthawk AX2700 Cable modem for the increased speed from Xfinity. Right now I have a TP-Link N900 3.0 USB adapter. I currently measure 268Mbps down and 18.0 Mbps up. Can a new Netgear AC1200 (1200Mbps) give me more dload speed or is the USB 3.0 limitied?
Thanks for the help.
Danny

Couriant

James
In theory, as long as you are plugged into the blue USB 3.0 port, the data transfer is a maximum of 5Gpbs. Your adapter is can go to a maximum of 450Mbps so you are limited to that speed.

The Netgear AC1200 R6120 has a 100Mbps WAN port so even though you are getting fast speeds between the computer and wireless connection, you will be slowed down between router and modem.

dannys22

In theory, as long as you are plugged into the blue USB 3.0 port, the data transfer is a maximum of 5Gpbs. Your adapter is can go to a maximum of 450Mbps so you are limited to that speed.
Thanks for the reply. I assume that the 450 you mentioned is for the current adapter, and I think it's less because it's in the rear and kind of boxed in between a wall and my desk. The new adapter has a base I can set on top of my desk for more open exposure.
Life was much simpler in the old days of serial and parallel ports and dial-up over a phone line. :)

Thanks again
Danny

Couriant

James
Correct, that is for the usb adapter. As you mentioned, environmental factors like being in an enclosed area, or the location from the router could hamper the speed. If you can I would recommend putting it in the open.

Well Ethernet is the new "dial up" set up when it comes to the wiring haha.

dannys22

Correct, that is for the usb adapter. As you mentioned, environmental factors like being in an enclosed area, or the location from the router could hamper the speed. If you can I would recommend putting it in the open.

Well Ethernet is the new "dial up" set up when it comes to the wiring haha.
I updated the driver for the USB Adapter and now get 490+Mbps. Stupid me I don't know I didn't check before.
Thanks
Danny

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online