1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 3.0 SS Ports Stopped Working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheWhiteKnight, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheWhiteKnight

TheWhiteKnight Thread Starter

I recently acquired an HP Elite model H8-1050 and I reinstalled my OS from scratch (Custom Windows Ultimate). In the beginning the 2 3.0 ports on the top of the unit next to the stereo jack and mic port were working. After installing the OS, flashing my BIOS and updating all drivers they are no longer working by which I mean when I put a flash stick or other USB peripheral nothing happens. Now I'm pretty sure it's a software issue because the stereo out and microphone ports work fine and they are all a part of one piece of hardware and because they did work at some point. It's a fairly new device still long under warranty so I doubt it could have failed so quickly.

I looked in my bios but couldn't find any settings that relate to USB and in my Device Manager it shows no unknown devices. HP upper level tech support wasn't much help either and wanted me to reinstall my OS entirely or backdate my bios flash which is both crude and risky. For reference he tells me I have an IPISB-CH2 Pegatron Mobo. I used the bios flash and controller drivers directly from HP's website for my model. Any ideas? I'm wondering if there are separate 3.0 drivers I need. Google H8-1050 drivers (64bit) to see exactly what I used.

Thanks

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes, the USB 3.0 chipset drivers should be separate. All of the drivers should be available from HP. In any case, check Device Manager for any hardware with yellow !

3. TheWhiteKnight

Still tracking them down but as I said there is nothing with yellow in device manager.. I thought I had the right drivers and it doesn't make sense that they would work before installing the Controllers that I have and not after..

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Windows does not have native drivers for the usb 3 controller [at least every system I have seen]
    You need to install in the following order;
    1 Install the os
    2 Update to latest service pack
    3 Install chipset/mb drivers
    4 Install nic, wireless, sound drivers, usb 3
    5 Install video driver
    6 Run windows update until there are no critical updates left to install.

5. TheWhiteKnight

I'll remember this for future reference as I generally do install in this order and believe I did the same this time. Reinstalling the controller is not fixing the issue currently so I assume you're implying I need to start from scratch? I hope this isn't the case as it was repetitive and tedious how many times I had to already.

How can I resolve the issue without a do over?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Can you post a screenshot of device manager?
    Next I am wondering why you would do a bios flash? What fix was in the bios flash that you needed?

7. TheWhiteKnight

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    expand the USB controllers tab.

9. TheWhiteKnight

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1047968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice