1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB 3.0 v/s 2.0 card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeFrank, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeFrank

JoeFrank Thread Starter

I want to add a USB card to my desktop PC. Existing USB ports are 2.0. I see that there are now cards that are USB 3.0 (backward compatible). I can purchase a 3.0 card for equal or less $$$ than some 2.0 cards. Any problems / advantages to 3.0 v/s 2.0 for future use? (Running a HP a6712f with Win 7 home premium 64 bit)

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I've been wondering about that ..
    But I have a hunch that the HDDs in a USB 3.0 enclosure are more of a limiting factor in speed .. Than the USB 2.0.
    I didn't like the fact that the USB 3.0 cable is not backwards compatible on the Enclosure end .. And they are usually short.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice