usb adapter not working with XP only

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DougMacp

Hi, hope someone can help....My new usb wireless adaptor will not work on my 32-bit XP machine but it works perfectly on my Windows 7 PC.
My old 'wireless g' adaptor still works in the same usb port - albeit the signal is weak - so the port is fine. The driver installation seemed to go fine and windows device manager confirms this.
The green light is on but it can't detect the router (the same router that the device can detect when installed on the windows 7 PC) or any other wireless networks for that matter.
I've uninstalled, rebooted, then reinstalled but with the same results - no networks found.

The adapter is the TP-Link TL-WN722N. Wireless N capable and router supports N.

I'd be grateful for any help.
Thanks.

DougMacp

Hi Terry , Mcafee - provided free by my ISP (BT UK). I gave the program full permission and also tried running it with the firewall off but still finds no wireless networks. Just slotted in the original dongle and it finds the network perfectly. Very frustrating.

TerryNet

Terry
You said the signal is weak with the old adapter. How about trying with a stronger signal--move the PC or router/WAP closer.

DougMacp

Sorry - i meant weak with the older 'g' rated adapter. The signal is perfect when the g adapter is close to the router but none existant when the new 'n adapter' is right beside the router. I've since tried the new N adapter in a vista 64 and another XP 32 bit PC and it works in both. So it works in 3 PCs but not in the pc I need it to work in ! A Dell, also running 32-bit XP.

TerryNet

Terry
Only three possibilities are coming to mind.

Firewall. Uninstall McAfee and run the Removal Tool.

Driver. Double or triple check that you have the driver to which I linked or the same one as in the other XP.

XP hopelessly out of date. You should have service pack 3, with SP2 the bare minimum.

DougMacp

Reinstalled with firewall off and XP SP3 up to date - I'll try driver again. Tp-link replied and asked me to enable wzc service and use MS network facility but i'd already tried that with no luck.
Appreciate your help and time,Terry.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online