1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb adapter not working with XP only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DougMacp, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

Hi, hope someone can help....My new usb wireless adaptor will not work on my 32-bit XP machine but it works perfectly on my Windows 7 PC.
    My old 'wireless g' adaptor still works in the same usb port - albeit the signal is weak - so the port is fine. The driver installation seemed to go fine and windows device manager confirms this.
    The green light is on but it can't detect the router (the same router that the device can detect when installed on the windows 7 PC) or any other wireless networks for that matter.
    I've uninstalled, rebooted, then reinstalled but with the same results - no networks found.

The adapter is the TP-Link TL-WN722N. Wireless N capable and router supports N.

I'd be grateful for any help.
    Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have the TL-WN722N_100316 driver?

What, if any, non-Windows firewall or security suite do, or did, you have on the machine?

3. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

Hi Terry , Mcafee - provided free by my ISP (BT UK). I gave the program full permission and also tried running it with the firewall off but still finds no wireless networks. Just slotted in the original dongle and it finds the network perfectly. Very frustrating.

4. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

And yes,, the drivers are up to date.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said the signal is weak with the old adapter. How about trying with a stronger signal--move the PC or router/WAP closer.

6. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

Sorry - i meant weak with the older 'g' rated adapter. The signal is perfect when the g adapter is close to the router but none existant when the new 'n adapter' is right beside the router. I've since tried the new N adapter in a vista 64 and another XP 32 bit PC and it works in both. So it works in 3 PCs but not in the pc I need it to work in ! A Dell, also running 32-bit XP.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Only three possibilities are coming to mind.

Firewall. Uninstall McAfee and run the Removal Tool.

Driver. Double or triple check that you have the driver to which I linked or the same one as in the other XP.

XP hopelessly out of date. You should have service pack 3, with SP2 the bare minimum.

8. DougMacp

DougMacp Thread Starter

Reinstalled with firewall off and XP SP3 up to date - I'll try driver again. Tp-link replied and asked me to enable wzc service and use MS network facility but i'd already tried that with no luck.
    Appreciate your help and time,Terry.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice