1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb and file corruption

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dstrand, Jun 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

My Dad's computer has been acting funny lately. First thing is, the scanner is not working and an error message keeps showing up that the usb ports are not turned on. They are enabled in the bios with no previous problems. Connections are secure, no cracks in the cable, and the bios still says usb is enabled. Second, the power went out twice on the computer during some lightning strikes without adequate surge protection. The inside of the computer seems to be fine, but ther seems to be alot of sudden file corruption. Will wiping the hard drive clean, and reinstalling help this? Or perhaps the scanner or the usb cable can be looked at? Please help....

2. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334

First right click on My Computer and choose properties, then click on Device Manager and scroll to the very bottom of the list and click on the + thats next to Universal Serial Bus Controller and select each item and view each's individual properly, then look under Device Status to see if they're functioning properly. Then do the same under Imaging Device to see if the scanners working. If you see any yellow circles with ! in it next to a device on your computer tell me.

3. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Under system properties, everything is just fine. The root hub is functioning, and so is the usb controller. /?The scanner shows up just as it should. Driver files are also all there, and there are no conflicts. Just this wierd error message about the usb not being turned on, when it is.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi, dstrand,

You might try removing them from device manager, rebooting and allowing windows to find it again. You may or may not be asked for the cdrom that came with the computer or motherboard.....

Another thing you may try first, though, is to unhook the USB devices....restart the machine.....then plug the USB devices back in.....and let windows add new hardware....

5. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Thanks, AcaCandy, I unhooked and hooked up the usb and it still did the same thing. I also tried moving the usb cable to the second slot. What is interesting, is that when I moved the cable my Sisoft Sandra diagnostic program reported the change. So it would seem that Usb functionality is there. Also removing the scanner did not work. When I try to add it, it reports that the program could not turn on my usb ports and terminates. Also I have a separate hard drive on the system and it reports the same errors. This is driving me nuts! I Can't figure it out....help!

6. ~Candy~

Double check in your bios to make sure that the plug and pray option didn't get disabled somehow......

7. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Plug and pray still operational, in fact everything in bios checks out. System freezes are happening, for example when opening (or trying to) My Computer. Could a power surge have totally corrupted the system files? I am thinking a format and reinstall, but do not know if this is the best route. By the way, the system runs on Win ME. I am thinking of chucking it, as the only good thing I have seen ME do so far is creating restore points. Unfortunatly, I could not even access a restore point in this computer. Additionally, I am wondering if the scanner is in fact one of the culprits in these error messages. I sure would like to fix this and get my Dad off my back...thanx!

8. ~Candy~

Does it freeze immediately when you first turn it on, or does it warm up for a bit first before freezing?

Power surges like you described can do bad things to computers...I just lost a power supply to one, even though everything was connected thru a surge/back-up power supply, so go figure....

You might take a look inside to make sure the CPU fan is still spinning.

Also what you could do to rule the scanner out is to unhook it competely and maybe even disable the USB ports for right now.

I'm not that familiar with ME, but from most of what I read, I wouldn't put it on any of my computers, and I made one client reformat back to Windows 98 or he had to find new tech support.....

Does anyone else have any ideas on this? Guys?

9. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Well I tried everything, and finally did a format and reinstall. Chucked win ME and did a clean install of 98. It is now working better than ever before. I am so relieved! Thanx so much for your responses, the tech support forum has saved my bacon a few times!

10. ~Candy~

YES! Another pleased client who chucked ME! Thank you!

Love ya!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/46142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice