1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB and Serial Ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kuwaiti Kid, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuwaiti Kid

Kuwaiti Kid Thread Starter

What is the difference between a USB and a Standard Serial Port, I know that they are both Serial I/O devices but can I connect a Stand Serial Device that was to go into a COM Port into a USB Port(Thats provided I have the right connector of course)

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

They're two different kinds of ports. USB is much faster and is far newer technology. Serial ports are slow and have been around for a very long time. A device either plugs into a Serial port or a USB port. It can't plug into both.

- What kind of device are you trying to connect?
    - What does the connector on the end of the cord look like? Is it large with two rows of pins or is it small and flat?
    - Did it come with an adapter so you can connect it to either port?
    - What operating system is your computer running?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice