1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Breakdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Turkish78, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Turkish78

Turkish78 Thread Starter

I've spent the last few days trying to find out whats going on.

It all started out with my sandisk sansa mp3 player stop connecting to my desktop. I plug it in and nothin. Then I found out that the external USB drive I have doesn't want to show up in my "My Computer".

For the external drive it shows up in the device manager and reports no errors. Neither do I get any errors anywhere for either usb devices.

So I figured maybe my USB controller was kicking the bucket so I plugged in an old PCI USB 2.0 card I had laying around.... Same thing.

Now what really bugs me is both things work fine on my laptop and yet all my other USB addons work fine on my desktop.

At this point I don't know what the heck is going on anymore as I've tried everything.

Any suggestions or help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

And this is all on windows XP SP2

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

First, when you say you've tried everything, what exactly did you try. I don't mean just plugging in different devices. Also, is it all USB ports or just one and the rest are fine?

3. bonk

bonk Banned

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

5. Turkish78

Turkish78 Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.

Before I do any of the above mentioned things I'll let you know what I've already tried.

I reinstalled windows a couple days ago. Did a low level format of the hard drive. Overboard I know but there wasn't that much on the system yet as it wasn't that long ago since I did my last re-install.

I'm almost thinking its something to do with my motherboard as I have since tried both the mp3 player and the IDE adapter on different computers and they work fine.

So after a fresh install of windows will editing my registry really help?

Ah and yes its all USB ports but only for those two appliances, all other USB devices work (ie. keyboard, mouse, printer)

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

To summarize I'll assume you've downloaded all MS patches, etc., after your clean install of XP sp2 so before the install at one time these two devices worked on this machine and then quit working. You did the reinstall of XP and they continue not to work while all other USB devices do. My first thought is power. These two devices may not be getting enough power to run. Have you tried unplugging all other USB devices and trying one or the other by itself? Can you hook up a non USB mouse and keyboard for a test?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice