1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb broadband unstable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sara82, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sara82

sara82 Thread Starter

Hi
    hope someone can help. My old computer broke down so am now using bueyonder broadband on a new computer using a usb connection. The problem is its quite unstable the connection stops every ten mins or so and I have to restart the computer to get it going again. I read around and saw there can be problems with usb connections and was just wondering if anyone has tips on how I can possibly improve the connection, without having to buy anything! I would be very grateful for any help
    thanks
    Sara x

Ps. On my old computer I was connecting using a nic card, this new computer has a nic card but the problem is the the plug isn't the right size, so I cant connect that way.

2. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

Just a few questions,
    1. What OS you running ? (Windows 2000/XP)
    2. Do you have any other USB devices (Printers etc)
    3. Is the USB device in question have a Ethernet cable plugged into it ?

3. sara82

sara82 Thread Starter

Hi I'm running xp, there is a printer plugged in but the plug doesn't look like a usb plug and I need it plugged in for the monitor to work. I have unplugged the ethernet cable.
    Thanks

4. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

Needing the printer pluged in to make the monitor is just plain weird!

OK, i'm a little confused now!

lets just say, you have windows XP, and a printer on a printer port,

now, you have a ethernet connection, is this pluged "directly" into your PC or connect to something else thats pluged into your PC ?

5. sara82

sara82 Thread Starter

The printer plug is blue with all those little pins in it and when I take that out the monitor has a message that jumps around saying something like disconnected. The usb plug goes directly from my cable modem to the back of my pc. Hope that helps

6. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

7. sara82

sara82 Thread Starter

Well I think the usb drivers are the newest I can get because I asked blueyonder to send them to me and I just got the cd yesterday.
    Thanks for the help

8. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

you have the latest drives,
    you say the connection just stops, are you getting any errors ?
    or web pages not displaying etc ?

does it run really slow ?
    do you get pop up adverts ?

oh also just as a test shutdown your PC and unplug you printers power, and leave your printer off, startup your PC and see if the connection is any better!

9. sara82

sara82 Thread Starter

Its running fast, no pop ups and the printer is already unplugged. When I try to go to a website it says 'The page cannot be displayed'. Also the little connectivity icon in the system tray goes black screened rather than blue. sorry if I am being brief but it keeps doing it more frequently now

10. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

All I can suggest without looking at the machine is to reset the modem (unplug and plug back in, wait for the top and bottom lights to stay on solid and the middle two flash.

Open a browser window and in the address bar, type "192.168.100.1" and hit return.

Click on "signal" along the top and you'll get a new page. Check that the downstream frequency is set to 331000000 (331 million)

This number MUST read that value. If it doesn't you'll need to contact blueyonder and ask them how to set it. I'm not sure but I think you type something like this:

192.168.100.1/index.html?scanfreq=331000000

11. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

or it could be the cable !!

12. sara82

sara82 Thread Starter

I did the check and it was 331 million, thanks for all your help.

13. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

I am running out of idea's,

is the USB cable, being knocked about by your feet or anything ?

it may be an idea to use your network card from your old PC,

I would suggest, calling blueyonder at this point, but don't let them tell you its a virus, download a antivirus and scan your PC first.

14. PhantomsHC

PhantomsHC

just a quick question, your old PC is that the one which had the SP2 problem, and do you still have the PC ?

as i have only been on this forum for a few days and i may be able to sort that one (tempted to say as well),

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice