1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asdfght5, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asdfght5

asdfght5 Thread Starter

Are all USB cables created equal? Are some USB cables better than others? If so, what technical characteristics or specifications make one USB cable better than another?

Steve

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
  3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Besides the connector type mentioned by managed, USB cables can be certified to one of four data speed ranges. You can read about them on the USB Implementers Forum web site at http://www.usb.org/home. You will see four red and blue icons on the page that resemble USB plugs. Clicking on each icon will take you to an explanation of each speed range.

http://www.usb.org/

Beyond that some cables from one company may be better built and last longer than a cable from another company.

4. kenbok51

kenbok51

I swap cables around for external drives all the time with no issues (I don't own anything USB3) but swapping power bricks is a different issue because of their amperage rating. And of course the devices type of connector is an issue. For example most external hard drives have a mini connector on the device and a regular connector for the PC. I have one external drive that has two firewire connectors, one E-Sata and one mini USB.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. cornemuse

cornemuse

For me: I've found that some cheap usb cables without shielding around the '4' wires, (the shielding being connected to '-' ground), a lot of time do not work with some thumbs/memory cards. Not such a problem with usb hdd's. Usb hdd cases/adapters are a different story. Some cases draw more current than others & require either the 'second' usb plug for power, or a plugin power supply directly plugged in to the case/adapter.

-c-

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice