1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb card for laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by becca117, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. becca117

becca117 Thread Starter

i am using my dad's toshiba laptop, an older one, for the semester while away at school. i have a webcam and a digital camera both that require a usb port. my laptop doesn't have a usb port. is there anything i can do? and is it worth it?

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You'll need something like this.. 2-port USB 2.0 PCMCIA Controller

Searching on www.pricewatch.com they seem to be selling for about $30-35 for a generic version at various places.

Make sure you get one that will fit the type of slots on your laptop.

3. becca117

becca117 Thread Starter

thank you
    how do i know what kind of slot i have open? there's an extra slot where my ethernet card plugs in. would that work? and what do i call that slot? also should i be looking at a certain speed or are they all about the same?
    i'm sorry for my stupidity when it comes to computers. i can deal with programs but not the physical computer. :rolleyes:

4. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

I have a USB 2.0 Adaptec card for this Model AUA-1420 that works great. It plus into a PCMCIA slot, this normally looks like a credit card, almost all laptops support this, it's normally on the side and looks like 2 large slots. This card will give you 2 USB slots supporting USB version 2.0. Works great.

Richard html

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What model Toshiba?

6. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

By the way I am using the Adaptec PCMCIA on a Toshiba.

7. becca117

becca117 Thread Starter

Ok here is where I will demonstrate my true computer stupidity, trying to tell you what kind of toshiba i have. The computer has marked on it "Tecra 510 CDT" and when I go to system information it says "Genuine Intel Pentium Processor 64.0 RAM." Does that help?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also make sure that the USB stuff you want to install will work with your laptop. You can add usb, but is you CPU fast enough to handle the usb cameras. Your cpu is likely a 166 or 200Mhz although I could be wrong as I'm going from memory only. Maybe not fast enough for the camera.

9. jakoval

jakoval

The Tecra 510CDT has a Pentium 133. Looks like it originally shipped with Windows 95. That would likely prevent you from running any USB accessories, even if you otherwise met the minimum specs of the cameras.

10. becca117

becca117 Thread Starter

I have Windows 2000 on this computer. As far as speed how could I find out how fast it it?

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

12. jakoval

jakoval

Your system specs are here:
    http://209.167.114.38/ISG/pastproducts/html/tecra/tecra_510cdt_spec.html
    The memory appears to have been upgraded, along with the O/S. A USB card should work in that machine. However, you may want to check the documentation that came with your cameras to see if the rest of the hardware meets their minimum requirements before you invest in a card. As far as I know the processor is not replaceable in these machines - that will likely be the limiting factor.

(As a side note, I find that Win2K runs pretty sluggishly on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 490CDT with a PII-233 and 96MB of RAM; I imagine it may be struggling on your machine.)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice