1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB case enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ~Candy~, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator Thread Starter

I just installed a 120 gig hard drive with Windows 98 on it into a USB case enclosure. Offhand, I don't see anyway to be able to boot up with it.......is it me, or am I just not going to be able to do that :mad:

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

As far as I can tell, if your bios supports usb in dos mode, you'll have to fdisk the usb drive, then set a partition as active, move your system files onto it. When you boot a PC with it, you'll need to press f12 and tell it to boot from USB. (again if your bios allows it).

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Sara Samplawska of New York asks if you can boot from a USB drive. The short answer is maybe. First, your BIOS has to support booting from USB. To find out if it does, restart your computer and enter your PC Setup program (there should be a message when you turn on your machine telling you what key to press). Now check your boot device options to see if USB is one of them. If it is, then check your USB drive's specs to see if it is bootable. Note that while Windows XP and some other operating systems won't boot from an external drive, you can still use the USB device as a DOS-based, emergency boot device.

http://www3.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,112043,pg,2,00.asp

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

5. ~Candy~

Thanks GRD ;) How'd you fare the storm? You're behind on your deal of the day ;)

It's got an operating system on it already, I did that prior to pulling it out of the computer. My bios shows enable USB legacy support. Is there more than that? It's an older bios, a Gateway G6-400. I plan on taking it to Mexico for use in my P4 computer, but wanted to test it prior. Will check out the F 12 option.....

Saw your second post :mad: I googled all morning to see if that was the case :mad: Dang it....I guess it's no big deal......but would be nice ;)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Uh... I've booted from a USB 2.0 drive on my AX-45B motherboard, so I'd have to say that statement isn't 100% accurate. :D

7. ~Candy~

So john, are you going to share with me, or do I have to beat the information out of you :p

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

The ASUS A7N8X board (Nforce) supports booting from ZIP, USB, Firewire and other devices...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice