1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb cd rw only seen as cd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stanleyg, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stanleyg

stanleyg Thread Starter

I bought a new 48x12x48 sony usb2 cd rw. computer is 700 cel running windows me. Already had internal burner (slow). Computer only sees the slow burner. New usb2 burner is seen only as cd. Main cd writing software is Easy CD Creater 4 ...also have two other programs, all see new burner as only cd.

2. slipe

slipe

Welcome to TSG

I doubt that EZCD4 has been updated to include a 48X USB burner, and any other software you installed of the same vintage is unlikely to work. Burner software has to be specifically upgraded by the software maker for each model of burner. And after a while they stop updating the old stuff. Sonys usually come with B’s Recorder Gold, and you should be concentrating on that if you have it.

USB burners require drivers for the USB. I’ve never had one, but there is usually interface software that is required. How is the burner showing in device manager and/or control panel?

If all you have is EZCD4 and software of that vintage you might download the trial of Nero. If it works you know the problem is software related. http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#download

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I also believe the issue is the old burning software, I suspect modern versions will not have this issue. Of course, it would also help to know what O/S you're running, and what the USB CD is displayed as in Device Manager.

4. stanleyg

stanleyg Thread Starter

I am not at home, so can't check device manager now, but the new usb burner came with recording software (B's Recorder Gold)
    This software too only recognizes my new drive as a CD and not as a burner.

5. vboccio

vboccio

USB 2.0 is only supported by Windows XP, This may be yor problem

6. slipe

slipe

I think WinXP is the only OS with native support for USB2, but most adapter cards come with drivers for other OSs. USB2 is backward compatible to USB1, and most USB2 burners will burn at 4X on USB1.

But that brings up a point: you did install a USB2 card – right? Not much sense getting a USB2 48X burner and having it burn at 4X. Especially when you have an old slow internal burner that is working fine.

Does everything look OK in device manager for the card?

And was there software for the USB interface? Installation OK?

7. stanleyg

stanleyg Thread Starter

I have a usb2 card installed and it is working. I have a usb2 hard drive that is running with no problems.
    I downloaded drivers for the usb2 burner from the sony website, they seemed to install ok but still its seen as only a cd drive.

8. slipe

slipe

Is it showing in device manager as a generic drive or does it identify it as a Sony drive. If it is seeing it as a Sony I would mess with Bs a little more before giving up.

Normally with an internal burner if it works as a CD-ROM it is up to the recording software from there. USB burners are a real pain in that there is the interface driver.

I’m really out of suggestions. I wouldn’t let anyone I know buy an external burner and I don’t have experience with laptops. So all I know about the interface is what I’ve read.

Maybe we can keep it on the first page until someone with troubleshooting experience with USB burners comes along. My suggestion would be to return it since Sony support can’t help you and get an internal burner. You probably won’t be happy with Bs anyway – most people don’t like it much.

9. JohnWill

I have USB 2.0 running on W2K and W98, just not with Microsoft supplied drivers. The USB 2.0 drives don't seem to mind the 3rd party drivers at all! :D

10. JohnWill

FWIW, I have an old 8x4x32 generic CD-RW drive in a USB 2.0 cabinet, it runs just fine on W2K or XP, but I couldn't get it to burn CD's on W98, though it will read them. Sounds familiar. :)

11. stanleyg

stanleyg Thread Starter

Thanks for all your thoughts. I will check out B's closer this weekend. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice